Bac +1 to Bac +5

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by fnomad, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. fnomad New Member

    what studies in the US do "Bac plus 1 to 5" correspond? I know it means baccalauriat plus further study, but is it years of university, or degrees?
  2. kylijah Senior Member

    London, UK
    French - France
    years of uni...
    in france:
    2 years = DEUG
    3 years = license (degree)
    4/5 years = maitrise, master, DEST etc.....

    that would be a lot of degrees if one had 5! ;)
  3. amely Senior Member

    What exactly is the DEUG? I don't think there's an equivalent in the UK. Thanks
  4. ianne Member

    french (France)
    The DEUG means "diplomes études universitaires générales", and is a degree that you pass two years after your bac (if you passed your deug, you are bac+2!). However with the european harmonization of university studies, the deug disappeared. Now the first university degree is the Licence, bac+3.
    Hope it helped!
  5. mary0107 New Member

    Paris, France
    French, France
    Due to european harmonisation of degrees and diplomas, France has adopted the ECTS (European Credit Transfert System) and renamed the university studies "LMD" (8 years studies) which means :

    L for Licence (3 years after the French Baccalauréat)
    M for Master (2 years after the French Licence)
    D for Doctorate (3 years after the Master)
  6. fnomad New Member

    So bac plus 3 would be the equivalent to a US university degree although it takes 4 years in the US...?
  7. Smerpy Senior Member

    Nantes, France
  8. kylijah Senior Member

    London, UK
    French - France
    Really? I had no idea... so basically my DEUG is worth nothing anymore?
  9. Smerpy Senior Member

    Nantes, France
    DEUG is now referred to as "Licence 2"

    Licence 1, 2, 3
    Master 1, 2
  10. jann

    jann co-mod'

    English - USA
    fnomad, equivalence often depends on which way you're going, where you studied, and what subject:

    Ex.) if you have a US Bachelors (4-yr) degree and are seeking admission in a French university, they will often consider this degree equivalent to Bac+3 and admit you into the 4th year of the program.... unless you came from a particularly prestigious school (and therefore get bac+4 equivalence) or, conversely, are changing fields a bit (and consequently only get bac+2 equivalence).

    If you are French and have passed the Bac and you wish to apply to an American university, some schools will admit you as a freshman (1st yr), but others may admit you as a sophomore (2nd yr). If you have a Bac+4 degree from the old (pre-LMD) system, you will have written an independent mini-research thesis. So some middle-range American universities may consider this equivalent to having complete some work towards an American Masters degree (the 5th and maybe 6th year), but others will just consider it equivalent to an US bachelors degree (4yrs). Again, it depends on the school and the discipline.
  11. 7371joe New Member

    English - England
    So if, for example, I'm in my second year of a 4-year languages course (3 years + 1 year abroad) and I'm attempting to apply for a stage with a French company, their online proforma asks me what form of baccalaureat I'm studying at the moment, should my answer be a bac+3? or +4?
  12. Kardamom New Member

    I would be interested in that, too. I want to apply for an internship in France from next summer. At the time I begin, I will have passed 2 years of my 4-year degree, with my 3rd year being a compulsory year abroad. Am I bac + 2 then? Or bac + 3 because I'm in my 3rd year?
    I have also previously studied chemistry for 3 years but changed subject before my degree, so I guess, that does not count?! Thanks for your help.
  13. jann

    jann co-mod'

    English - USA
    Welcome, Kardamom. :)

    Well this is a very old thread and these days WordReference is even more focused on language and translation than we were back in 2006. Questions about degree equivalency are academic -- not linguistic -- matters that are best resolved on a case-by-case basis by the universities in question (all the more so when a change of discipline is involved!). Such matters are out of the scope and expertise of these forums.

    From a definitions point of view, "bac+3" means that you completed three years of university studies after passing the French baccalauréat exam. So degree equivalency aside, a French student is bac+2 when s/he begins the year of university study.
  14. Squiggle

    Squiggle Senior Member

    Savoie, France
    English - UK
    Reviving an old topic, how would you simply translate Bac+1 to Bac+6 into BE? I don't think we have a qualification for one year more than A'Levels for a start. This is to describe the range of qualifications offered by an HE college.
    Am wondering if I should repharase to say Higher Education training offering qualification up to masters level...
  15. Wordsmyth

    Wordsmyth Senior Member

    Location: Mostly SW France
    Native language: English (BrE)
    Squiggle, given that Brits tend to talk about the name (and therefore implicitly the level) of a qualification, rather than how many years it takes to get and from what starting point, I would definitely avoid translating as "A Levels + ...". It may be a bit longer, but I'd be inclined to put descriptive names to the diplomas that don't directly correspond to an equivalent in BE.

    If that's too heavy, I suppose you could say "1-year to 6-year Higher Education courses", or "... offering qualification at all levels up to Masters" (so as not to minimise the lower levels). But wouldn't "up to Masters" imply Bac+5? Would Bac+6 need to be described as something higher?

  16. Squiggle

    Squiggle Senior Member

    Savoie, France
    English - UK
    Hi Wordsmyth. Don't worry, I wasn't actually going to use A'level! I like the plan of simply saying how long the course takes. I think that will work. Many thanks!

Share This Page