bachelor?

< Previous | Next >

Odarpi

Polish - Poland
Could you please explain, what is the meaning of the word 'bachelor' in this sentence?

"The building itself was a typical Wall Street bachelor, with a pool in the basement and a giant lobby of black-and-white tiles and couches that no one ever sat in".

S. Clifford - Everybody Rise

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I don't know this use, but I'd understand it as housing suitable for bachelors, i.e. not well equipped for families with children.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    In the text it says "typical Wall Street bachelor", with no article. That makes sense: "Wall Street bachelor" describes the style - a building that housed the typical Wall street bachelor, and/or was typical of the buildings favoured by Wall Street bachelors..

apricots

English - US
    That sounds weird with the article. In my opinion, it should either say "was a typical Wall Street bachelor pad" or "was typical Wall Street bachelor."

Loob

English UK
    Well, this Brit is still confused:(.

I understand "bachelor pad". But how can a building be "a bachelor"?:confused:

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    No, I'd keep it the same as in the OP.
    The building was typical Suburban Housewife.

(I have no idea what "suburban housewife" style is, so we can change it.
    Typical Soho Artist
    Typical West Side Yuppie
    etc.
    the building was designed to appeal to those types, displayed the characteristics of the type

JamesM

Yes, to me it's similar to "the building was typical 1930s Art Deco". (I'm not sure how a building could be Suburban Housewife because only a suburban home would be typical Suburban Housewife to me.)

Loob

English UK
    Still confused....

Could someone please explain "a bachelor"?

--------

:idea:Oh, we're saying that "a bachelor" in the OP was wrong?

< Previous | Next >