Bachelor's Degree in Physics


Senior Member
English, midwestern US
How would you say, for example, "I have a Bachelors Degree in physics" (or any other liberal arts degree)?

I am familiar with the terms "licenciado" and "bachiller", but I am confused as to what exactly has been conferred upon people who use these titles. "Bachillerato" is for high school, isn't it? So what term is used for a person who has completed four years of study at the university, graduated with a B.A., with no particular additional title?

While we are at it, some people are addressed by "Doctor/a Fulano/a", when I don't think they have a PhD. What's behind this?

  • Chevere33 said:
    How would you say, for example, "I have a Bachelors Degree in physics" (or any other liberal arts degree)?
    If you are referring to the US education system, we know that a Bachellor's degree is a college/univertisty degree... and that is called a bachillerato. In this context, your phrase would translate as: "Tengo/Poseo un bachillerato en Física".

    Having said that, "bachillerato" has different meanings depending on each country's particular education system. If your translation is "headed" to any foreigh country, I suggest you do a little reaserch on degree equivalencies first. Just a well-intentioned suggestion. :)

    Saludos.. and welcome to the forum!
    Hi Chevere33,

    In Colombia if you say:
    "Me gradué en fìsica" it means usually that you've accomplished four to five years of university. You may also say by abus de langage "tengo un pregrado en fìsica" (so in this case "pregrado" is equivalent to a college diploma in the US I think).
    In Colombia, pregrado takes normally 8 to 10 semesters (each one corresponds to half academic year)).
    "Bachiller" is indeed for highschool, at least in Colombia.
    "Tengo una maestrìa/un master en fìsica" means you have a master.
    "Tengo un doctorado en fìsica" means you are a doctor.
    And in general posgrado normally means any title after pregrado (so for example a "master" is a posgrado).

    Now I'm living in Italy where the Bologna reform has already taken place - the famous LMD reform which stands for (licenciatura - maestrìa/master - doctorado) so in that context things could change a little bit as you will possibly no longer say "Me gradué en fìsica" but "Me licencié en fìsica" or "Tengo una licenciatura en fìsica" and so on...

    Espero haberte ayudado.