'back' also means 'awesome'?

ddubug

Korea
Hi,

[I was wearing noise-cancelling headphones. My sixteen-year-old niece says that big headphones are back,
so you won't necessarily look like a tool.]

I think here, 'back' is opposite of 'tool'.

So, 'back' means 'awesome' here? I've looked up the dictionary, but it doesn't have that kind of meaning, which makes me suspect it might be a slang.

Please help.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    No - it means they have returned, or "come back". They used to be popular not long after stereophonic sound systems became popular, say in the 60's and 70's and many people owned them (I bought my first pair in 1969!). Then they were less popular, and people used smaller ones or ear-buds. Now big headphones are back.

ddubug

Korea
    No - it means they have returned, or "come back". They used to be popular not long after stereophonic sound systems became popular, say in the 60's and 70's and many people owned them (I bought my first pair in 1969!). Then they were less popular, and people used smaller ones or ear-buds. Now big headphones are back.
    Thank you! It helped!

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    As Teddy refrains from explaining a tool here means a penis, or, as he does explain, an idiot or an unfashionable person.

The expression is not recommended for polite use of any kind. I think I stopped using such words when I was about twelve.

I'd be very shocked if my sixteen-year-old niece said I looked like a tool, and I'm confident she's never do such a thing.

ps. I enjoyed the WR dictionary's explanation that it means a man's penis, as though it thought women had a similar appendage. I've heard the word used of an animal's male part too.

< Previous | Next >