Back-page, as a verb

Packard

USA, English
Context:

A few minutes ago I mentioned to a coworker that the attack on the American University in Kabul did not make the front page of the New York Times. I found that surprising. It appeared that the earthquakes in Italy had "back-paged" the school attack.

Immediately after having said this I wondered if "back-page" could be used as a verb. It is clearly a back-formation from the noun "back-page" meaning the continuing of an article from the front page of a newspaper to one in the later pages.

Question:

Do you think "back-page" can be used as a verb. None of the online dictionaries that I looked at show it in that role. And I could find no discussions on this topic in WR.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I've not heard it, but I would not be at all surprised if it were already a verb albeit journalese. (Sdgraham is your man - he was in newspapers.)

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I'm not a journalism professional and I don't know any journalism jargon. That said, I've never heard it used that way. When I read the title of this thread, I though it was probably about returning to a previously visited Web page - but I wouldn't use if for that.

jmichaelm

English - US
    I would not understand the exact meaning without your explanation. It makes sense after you've explained, but it seems like domain-specific usage to me.

< Previous | Next >