back-pot meat/sleep

< Previous | Next >

jesusguime

Banned
Chinese
Hi,
Here we have a kind of Chinese food, and it's called "back-pot meat." It means at face value meat that goes back to the pot again after it was cooked and cold, and it tastes heavenly delicious--I'm drooling now. What would you call this kind of meat?
From "back-pot meat," we deride another term--"back-pot sleep," that is, if I didn't have enough sleep last night and feel nodding off now, I'd go back to sleep a "back-pot" sleep. I wonder what the English counterpart is. Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi,
    Here we have a kind of Chinese food, and it's called "back-pot meat." It means at face value meat that goes back to the pot again after it was cooked and cold, and it tastes heavenly delicious--I'm drooling now. What would you call this kind of meat?
    I'm not sure that we have a term specifically for meat. Any food that is reheated in this way is called "leftovers" (left over from a previous meal).

From "back-pot meat," we deride another term--"back-pot sleep," that is, if I didn't have enough sleep last night and feel nodding off now, I'd go back to sleep a "back-pot" sleep. I wonder what the English counterpart is. Thanks.
    The only thing I can think of is to "catch up" on your sleep.

Imber Ranae

English - USA
    I don't think "leftovers" is the same idea. "Twice-cooked" seems to fit the description, and makes sense.

jesusguime

Banned
    Chinese
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    No, I didn't refer to "leftover." It's a special recipe of pork--after it's boiled and cools down, we'd slice it and stur-fry it again with some green onion, hot pepper, or garlic.

Besides, is it right to say "I'd better to catch up on some lost sleep now?" Thanks again in advance.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Twice cooked pork 回鍋 肉 is the meat I thought of when reading your post. Is the term used for other meats?
    Is this an English term?

Imber Ranae said:
    I don't think "leftovers" is the same idea. "Twice-cooked" seems to fit the description, and makes sense.
    Jesusguime said that the meat goes back into the pot after it was cooked and cold. Maybe I'm missing what the actual process is...:confused:

Imber Ranae

English - USA
    Is this an English term?
    That's what it's called in English. I don't know if there is any such similar process in European culinary traditions.

Jesusguime said that the meat goes back into the pot after it was cooked and cold. Maybe I'm missing what the actual process is...:confused:
    Leftovers are just reheated in the microwave.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Visiting Japanese and Chinese restaurants was what made me familiar with the term "twice cooked pork" and what jesusguime describes is exactly what the link describes. My main experience with it is in ramen in Japanese cuisine. The kanji would have the sense (from my Japanese reading of them) as "returned-to-the-pot pork".

Imber Ranae

English - USA
    Thanks, Dimcl.
    No, I didn't refer to "leftover." It's a special recipe of pork--after it's boiled and cools down, we'd slice it and stur-fry it again with some green onion, hot pepper, or garlic.

Besides, is it right to say "I'd better to catch up on some lost sleep now?" Thanks again in advance.
    "I'd better to catch up on my sleep / some lost sleep now?"

< Previous | Next >