Back to/in 1929

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Back to/in 1929, many Americans were out of work because times were hard. Charles Darrow was one of them.

Do both to and in work in the above wording? If yes, are there slightly different flavours? Thanks.

• Trisia

Romanian
    Back in 1997, I had a kitty.
    I sometimes wish I could go back to '97 and keep it from falling out the window.

(Not a true story)

Vinlander

Canada, American English (mostly)
    Back to/in 1929, many Americans were out of work because times were hard. Charles Darrow was one of them.

Do both to and in work in the above wording? If yes, are there slightly different flavours? Thanks.
    No only in works unless previously some other time period was being talked about, e.g., 'In 1973 Charles Darrow sold his prosperous pet rock factory and retired to Mexico. Back to ...." Having said that, I think the sentence would be better without "Back" at all, "In 1929...." says exactly the same thing.

Vinlander

Elwintee

England English

The other posts have already asked your actual question, but I would add that the word order could be improved. As it is, Charles Darrow could be taken to be one of the times which were hard. I suggest:
    Back in 1929, times were hard and many Americans were out of work. Charles Darrow was one of them.

< Previous | Next >