back to sleep vs. back toward sleep

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:
The following sentence that I came across on Googlebooks has made wonder what the difference is between “back to sleep” and “back toward sleep”.

What Goes Around Comes Around: A Mystery Novel Featuring ...
I was tempted to tell my own sad story, but the voices gradually faded out, and I did eventually sleep, fitfully, waking now and again with a feeling of dread, then forcing myself back toward sleep. The next morning, a burly, grunting oaf of a jailer ...

Thanks

• roguescholar789

English
    back 'toward' sleep? sounds to me like they got their preposition mixed up. Unless it's an attempt at some kind of poetic style...

Copyright

American English
    It's creative writing that tells me something ...

forcing myself back to sleep -- he made it back to sleep.
    forcing myself back toward sleep -- he forced himself to head in the direction of sleep but we really don't know if he made it; if he did, it was probably not a deep sleep but more of the fitful sleep mentioned the beginning of the sentence.

High on grammar

Farsi
    It's creative writing that tells me something ...

forcing myself back to sleep -- he made it back to sleep.
    forcing myself back toward sleep -- he forced himself to head in the direction of sleep but we really don't know if he made it; if he did, it was probably not a deep sleep but more of the fitful sleep mentioned the beginning of the sentence.
    Thanks

< Previous | Next >