Back used as synonym to butt or buttocks

< Previous | Next >

Lotsalatte

English (US)
I'm wondering if the word back as in backside of a human body, can sometimes be used as a synonym to the word butt or buttocks in British English? Never heard of it before I encountered it in an online synonym dictionary. If so, how common is it, is it related to any certain region, age group etc?

• Cambridge has 'backside' as buttocks, so there is no difference, here, with BE and AE.

backside
    noun [ C ]
    informal

UK

/ˈbæk.saɪd/ US

/ˈbæk.saɪd/

backside noun [C] (BODY)
    the part of the body that you sit on:
    After cycling for the whole day, my backside was very sore.
    Synonym

BACKSIDE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

==

**NOTE: For "Back" on its own, Cambridge has NO entry for a 'butt' definition:**

back noun [C] (BODY PART)
    A2
    the part of your body that is opposite to the front, from your shoulders to your bottom:

I have a bad back.
    Sleeping on a bed that is too soft can be bad for your back.
    He lay on his back, staring at the ceiling.
    I turned my back (= turned around so that I could not see) while she dressed.
    She put her back out (= caused a serious injury to her back) lifting a box.

Last edited:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    As a BE speaker, I will agree to both points:no it's not used that way and there's no difference between AE and BE. Which online synonym source lists it as such?

owlman5

English-US
    Yes. But I have no idea whether that word was in widespread use anywhere in the country. It definitely occurred in Sir Mix a Lot's tune, however.

pob14

American English
    About the only use of back for backside that I have encountered occurred in the tune Baby Got Back.
    Yes. But I have no idea whether that word was in widespread use anywhere in the country.
    Not that I’m an expert in this type of speech, but as far as I know, it’s only used in the phrase “got back,” meaning “has a pleasingly large butt.” “Back” is not, as far as I know, ever used alone to mean “butt.”[/i]

Lyrics at

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

Final lines:

So ladies, if the butt is round, and you want a triple X throw down,
    Dial 1-900-MIXALOT and kick them nasty thoughts
    Baby got back! Baby got back!

(
    Little in the middle but she got much back) [4x]
    ===

Throughout the song, the preferred term is 'butt'. Arguably 'back' is an adverb; see the last line.

=She got much in back OR She's got much back there.

In short, the song never talks about 'her back', which one might expect if the 'back' meant 'butt'.

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Although at least half the definitions in the Urban Dictionary seem to have been written by Beavis and Butthead, I thought I would take a look at what it had to say about this use of back. Alex A and an anonymous contributor also believe that it is a noun that refers to a large butt.:rolleyes:

The only reference offered was another reference to Sir Mix A Lot's song. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the belief that the word had any great currency back in 1992 when Baby Got Back achieved some popularity.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I often learn a lot of interesting things here, but then there are the times I have to purify my mind from the dross, like when we defragged PCs. Exposure to Sir Mix a Lot comes into that category. Why even mention him? Like all pop songs it's hardly a guide to good even normal usage. The question is about BE

can sometimes be used as a synonym to the word butt or buttocks in British English?

< Previous | Next >