backend equity points

boa1962

French
Hi

In this sentence,

In January, Ellen Pompeo revealed that she would be earning more than $20 million a year -- $575,000 per episode, along with a seven-figure signing bonus and two full backend equity points on the series, estimated to bring in another $6 million to $7 million.

what means : full backend equity points ? Il guess it's a term related to stock exchange or something like that, but I don't know anything about that. Can you help me ?

• AnnieF

English - British
    I think it means that she gets 2% of the profits made by the series. "Point" is often used to mean "percent" in this context.

I found this: "The back end is a way for the author of the source material, or anybody else participating who may be eligible, to get some "profit participation." This means that they are then paid some of the profit the film makes after it breaks even. This can be anywhere from a couple to more than ten percent of the total gross after the film covers production and promotional costs, which is called the net gross."

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    Equity points are issued by the Actors’ Equity Association, and the actor can accrue “Equity points” based on the number of weeks they’re hired as an actor.
    I don't know how it works.

< Previous | Next >