backwards in his ways

Alejo1982

Spanish
What does it means to be "backwards in his ways"? the context is a definition of the Puerto Rican word jíbaro, and the phrase is like this: "... sometimes used pejoratively to describe someone who is backwards in his or her ways..." !!??

• Mirlo

Castellano, Panamá/ English-USA
    Creo, pero no estoy segura que puede ser como "set on his ways"..
    Pero esperemos.
    :)

bluepolaris

Spanish-Spain
    What does it means to be "backwards in his ways"? the context is a definition of the Puerto Rican word jíbaro, and the phrase is like this: "... sometimes used pejoratively to describe someone who is backwards in his or her ways..." !!??
    Hola,

Yo me inclino a pensar que "backwards in his/her ways" se refiere a una persona de costumbres o maneras atrasadas, inculta, o socialmente inadaptada.

polyglotguy

English - USA
    It means old-fashioned.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines it in this context as, "Behind others in progress or development"

dbrasco013

USA
    English, USA
    hmm, I would never use "backwards in his ways" to mean "behind others in progress or development" or old-fashioned... I would use it to mean simply that they act completely different than how you would expect them to.

polyglotguy

English - USA
    hmm, I would never use "backwards in his ways" to mean "behind others in progress or development" or old-fashioned... I would use it to mean simply that they act completely different than how you would expect them to.
    Well, a lot of English-speakers do.

Here are a couple examples I just found through Google:

- "Though Muslims are now regarded as backwards in their ways of women. In this particular time period Muslim women had more rights than most women."

- "The word “development” itself implies a temporality in which other countries are “behind” us, “backwards” in their ways and in need of"

Plus, as I've said, this definition is in the dictionary.

< Previous | Next >