1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

Backwards pass (rugby ... or is it American football?)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Cueta, Oct 22, 2008.

  1. Cueta Member

    Hi, I would like to know what's the word for the pass in rugby whereby a player passes the ball between his legs and backwards to another player placed behind him. I hope I've explained myself... I don't know much about the game itself :( Thank you!!
  2. Grop

    Grop Senior Member

    Hi, do you mean these extremely short-range passes in which you don't throw the ball, but hold it backwards and wait for an other player to grab it? I would be surprised if there was a specific term for doing it between your legs.
  3. Cueta Member

    Yeah, that's it. As I said, I'm not an expert at all, but I didn't mean "a specific term for doing it between the legs", just the name for the strategy or pass that you have described so accurately.
  4. languageGuy Senior Member

    Kansas City, MO
    USA and English
    In American football (not the same sport, but similar), a backward pass is called a 'lateral.' The between-the-legs hand-off is called the 'snap.'
  5. Shadowcat12 Member

    Atlanta, GA
    English - USA
    LanguageGuy is correct in his terminology of American Football.
  6. Cueta Member

    I should have started by knowing which sport I was talking about :eek: As I'm asking on behalf of someone else who wanted to know, I guess I just didn't even know how to ask the question.
    I really appreciate your help, and it's more than probable that the game I intended to know about is American Football.
  7. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    English English
    Cueta, you could ask your friend if the players involved are wearing: (a) shorts/shirts/socks/boots; or (b) enough clothing, padding, armour [etc.] to withstand a nuclear blast.
    If (a) that's rugby; if (b) that's American football:)
  8. RoadFox Senior Member

    Auckland, New Zealand
    English - New Zealand
    In touch rugby you put the ball down between your legs and then the "dummy half" takes it and passes it out to someone else.

    4. After being touched, the player touched must put the ball on the ground and step over the ball. The Dummy Half who waits behind them, then picks the ball up and usually passes it (This is called ROLL BALL, but in reality the ball should NOT be rolled, rather it should be placed on the ground and stepped over).
  9. Cueta Member

    Ewie: :D That sounds very sensible :D. I guess what my friend meant is what the web page of prokicker.com shows (3rd picture from the top), so it's probably a "snap". But, do they do the same pass in rugby?
    RaodFox: You've answered my question even before I could post the words. But the "roll ball" that sounds a bit different from the "snap".
  10. Grop

    Grop Senior Member

    Cueta, this kind of pass is very unlikely to happen when playing rugby.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  11. se16teddy

    se16teddy Senior Member

    London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
  12. Cueta Member

    Se16yeddy: sorry for the delay. I think that's not what I was looking for, because it looks like the player uses his foot to pass the ball backwards. Thank you, anyway, and thank you all for your useful answers!!!

Share This Page