bad dreams for those who sleep unwisely

dec-sev

Russian
Hello.

Nay, let me warn you with all seriousness, that should you leave these rooms you will not by any chance go to sleep in any other part of the castle. It is old, and has many memories, and there are bad dreams for those who sleep unwisely. Be warned! Should sleep now or ever overcome you, or be like to do, then haste to your own chamber or to these rooms, for your rest will then be safe. (Dracuala by Bram Stoker).

What does "to sleep unwisely" mean? My only guess is that in this context it means "there are bad dreams for those who unwisely choose their place to sleep".

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I think it's not just a matter of sleeping in a place other than your own chamber which counts as unwise, but sleeping in any other part of the castle.

I don't find the whole sentence very idiomatic: let me warn you ..., that should you leave these rooms you will not...go to sleep in any other part of the castle.

That's fine to say that you won't go to sleep in any place other than in your own chamber, but the speaker goes on to say that, should you fall asleep elsewhere, terrible things will happen. This makes it clear that the original sentence was a warning not to go to sleep, rather than one that one wouldn't be able to go to sleep.

< Previous | Next >