badly written essay

sun 94

Banned
korean
When we talk about the quality of an essay, can I say as follows?

This is a well -written essay.
This is so so written essay.
This is badly written essay.

• Copyright

American English
    This is a well-written essay.
    This is an averagely written essay. (Not so common.)
    This is a poorly written essay.

ajparis

American English
    There is no such word as "averagely"! You would need to express the thought in a different way ("adequately written," for example, but you could come up with many solutions). "So-so" is a good word to avoid. It sounds old-fashioned, and it is never used before a noun.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    This is a well -written essay. :tick:

This is so- so written essay.:cross:
    No article and 'so-so' doesn't work as adverb or adjective.

'So-so' is used after a verb and is informal. 'This essay is only so-so'. 'The quality of this fabric looks so-so'
    'Mediocre' is a good word. 'This essay is a mediocre standard'. 'The writing in this essay is mediocre'
    I can't think of any word to put before written.

This is badly written essay.:cross:

No article. I am not sure if 'badly written' needs a hyphen or not. A good word option for bad/badly is poor/ poorly.
    I am not sure if you need 'written' each time.

Cheers
    Hermione

Last edited:

sun 94

Banned
    korean
    Then, can I say ' this is a badly written essay' instead of ' a poor written essay' and 'this essay is average'?

Last edited:

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    You can say "badly written" or "poorly written" (not "poor written"). "This essay is average" is fine, but does not relate specifically to the writing.

sun 94

Banned
    korean
    What is the differnce between ' essay' and ' the writing in this essay'? When you talk about the quality of an essay, can't I use both ones with the same meaning?

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    The writing in the essay has to do with the sentence structure, grammar, rhetoric, style... If you just say "the essay", you could be referring to the topic, the arguments presented, the evidence offered, the conclusion drawn...

ajparis

American English
    I think spell-check and Webster's serve their purpose for documenting whether a word is out there and whether it fits the basic criteria of "standard" usage. But at a certain point common sense and esthetics have to play a role as well, or else we will end up speaking and writing like Google translations!

< Previous | Next >