bake meat? (roast)

chay73

Perú-Spanish
Hi everybody!
:eek: I was wondering if it's correct to say "to bake meat" ... If I'm not mistaken... I think that the verb "to bake" is only for things related to the bakery business... so, what do you think?
thank you in advance

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi everybody!
    :eek: I was wondering if it's correct to say "to bake meat" ... If I'm not mistaken... I think that the verb "to bake" is only for things related to the bakery business... so, what do you think?
    thank you in advance
    To bake meat:eek: How about to roast it?

I have never heard of 'baking" meat:p

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    me neither... the first thing about meat in my head is roasting it :)
    I'm thinking.....Don't you need some water to bake things? And I don't think meat is watery.....Doesn't it get toasted outside but still raw inside?:confused: (By the way, I'm a vegetarian:eek::D)

Ecossaise

English
    Hi everybody!
    thank you in advance
    Can you give some context for this?

There is a term, "baked meats" = means meat-pie. “The funeral baked meats did coldly furnish forth the marriage table” (Hamlet); i.e. the hot meat-pies (venison pasties) served at the funeral and not eaten, were served cold at the marriage banquet.

Technically meat that is cooked in an oven is baked, not roasted. Roasting requires the meat to be cooked in front of/over an open fire.

LaReinita

USA (Northeast Coast)-Inglés
    I love to cook and yes, you can bake meat. More commonly, meat will be roasted or broiled, but people to bake meat for a long slow cook . . but I guess then that would also be roasting.

In many recipe directions, you will see:

Preheat oven to 250 and bake for 2 hours.

I actually believe, that roast, depends more on the meat . . usually you roast a whole piece of meat . . when I say this . . I mean like A whole chicken, or a pork roast.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Baking involves dry heat, usually on a hot surface.
    Roasting originally meant cooking by direct exposure to fire.

For some reason, when I cook food in an oven, I bake the things I could buy in a bakery and I bake potatoes, apples and pies. I roast meat.

That is not a comprehensive list.

chay73

Perú-Spanish
    Can you give some context for this?

There is a term, "baked meats" = means meat-pie. “The funeral baked meats did coldly furnish forth the marriage table” (Hamlet); i.e. the hot meat-pies (venison pasties) served at the funeral and not eaten, were served cold at the marriage banquet.

Technically meat that is cooked in an oven is baked, not roasted. Roasting requires the meat to be cooked in front of/over an open fire.
    well here goes the context: "...the whole family comes together to enjoy each other, to interchange presents and to eat meat baked that day" ... yes, I know what's meat-pie... that is why I think the sentence above is not correct ... or at least acurate...
    I love to cook and yes, you can bake meat. More commonly, meat will be roasted or broiled, but people to bake meat for a long slow cook . . but I guess then that would also be roasting.

In many recipe directions, you will see:

Preheat oven to 250 and bake for 2 hours.

I actually believe, that roast, depends more on the meat . . usually you roast a whole piece of meat . . when I say this . . I mean like A whole chicken, or a pork roast.
    :eek: I don't know much about cooking... it's just that somehow "to bake meat" does not sound good to me :eek: and my doubts come because I'm not a native... and if roasting meat is the same as baking meat for a long slow cook... well... :confused:
    Baking involves dry heat, usually on a hot surface.
    Roasting originally meant cooking by direct exposure to fire.

For some reason, when I cook food in an oven, I bake the things I could buy in a bakery and I bake potatoes, apples and pies. I roast meat.

That is not a comprehensive list.
    so, is it more common to say to roast meat? ...:confused:

I'm thinking.....Don't you need some water to bake things? And I don't think meat is watery.....Doesn't it get toasted outside but still raw inside?:confused: (By the way, I'm a vegetarian:eek::D)
    Here something from my dictionary (Longman Contemporary English):
    roast to cook something such as meat, in an oven or over fire.
    bake to cook something using dry heat, in an oven.

LaReinita

Well, it may be because no one would say "I'm about to bake meat."

But rather, I'm baking a ham. I'm baking a meatloaf. I'm baking shepherd's pie . . which also contains meat.

chay73

Perú-Spanish
    ok LaReinita... so I have to be more specific to use "to bake", otherwise the use of "to roast" is better (for meat)
    thank you :)

Packard

USA, English
    Roast, broil, braise, grill, or fry the meat. Bake it if it is part of something else (like meat pies).

I'm a "microwave-man" so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

What ever happened to "boil-in-bags"? I loved those things.

LaReinita

ok LaReinita... so I have to be more specific to use "to bake", otherwise the use of "to roast" is better (for meat)
    thank you :)
    In all actuality that would depend on if you're roasting or baking. HMMMM . . Maybe I can find a recipe site definition for both of these words . . give me a moment.

liliput

U.K. English
    I've never heard of baking meat, except in a pie - all pies are baked.
    Like panj, I'd bake bread, apples, potatoes, cakes, biscuits and pies.
    I'd roast meat, vegetables and potatoes.
    As potatoes appears in both lists lets look at the difference: A baked potato is placed whole directly onto the oven shelf, whereas roast potatoes are cooked in oil in the oven. However, roast meat isn't cooked in oil! Oh dear! Perhaps it roasts in it's own juices. Baked meat must be very dry.

< Previous | Next >