baked dough in layer cake

Discussion in 'English Only' started by susanna76, Dec 27, 2010.

  1. susanna76 Senior Member

    I'm looking for a word to designate the layers in the layer cake. You have layers and filling. But I'd like to know another word to use for the baked dough that makes the layers, as in the sentence:

    The [replace: "baked dough"] in her layer cake is light, because she uses only milk, flour, and sugar -- no fats.

    Looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks so much!
  2. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    Sponge is the word I'd probably use, Susanna.
  3. Hermione Golightly

    Hermione Golightly Senior Member

    British English
    I think the word you need is sponge. A true sponge cake is made without fat - I hope you have accidentally missed out the essential eggs !

    A 'baked dough' suggests a pastry such as used in pies, or bread. I use the word 'mix' for the ingredients of cakes.

    "The sponge in/of her layer cake is light because she uses only eggs, flour, sugar (and milk) - no fats." I am not sure about making sponge cake with milk. Wiki has an article about sponge cake. (NB This is not what we call a Victoria sponge cake which does have fat in and might have a little milk. This sort of cake is more like US "pound cake" with equal amounts of everything. You don't say if you are writing or translating. I think "the sponge in/of ... " is unnecessary because nobody would think you were writing about the filling.
    This is BrE - our American friends might have other suggestions. :)


    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. sdgraham

    sdgraham Senior Member

    Oregon, USA
    USA English
    What's wrong with "layers?"

    "The layers of her cake ares light, because she uses only milk, flour, and sugar -- no fats."

    This is, of course, impossible, because, besides the lack of eggs, there's nothing to make the dough rise, e.g. baking powder, and only a hard mess will result.
  5. susanna76 Senior Member

    Thank you all for your input.

    I'll try to clarify a few things. First, I meant

    The [replace: "baked dough"] in her layer cake is light, because she uses only eggs, flour, and sugar -- no fats.

    The [replace: "baked dough"] in her layer cake is light, because she uses only milk, flour, and sugar -- no fats.

    The recipe I have calls indeed for equal quantities of everything. And no, it doesn't require any rising agent. You whip the egg whites and that's enough to make it reasonably fluffy.

    I hesitated to call it "sponge cake" because in books about Romania writers reserve this word for a special cake we make for Easter and Christmas. The recipe for that sponge cake varies considerably from this simple recipe I mentioned. Indeed, what is translated as "Romanian sponge cake" in most books, cookbooks included (well, it's true some books go for "Romanian panettone"), requires, in one "interpretation":),
    - 1 kilo of flour
    - 200g sugar
    - 6 egg yolks
    - 50 g yeast
    - 200g vegetable oil
    - 500-600 ml milk
    - aromas (vanilla, grated lemon peel, etc.)

    + 6 egg whites, 4 tablespoons water, 200g sugar, 400 g ground walnuts, rum essence for the filling.

    I hope I didn't mix things up this time :).

    It makes 2 roll cakes. I guess it's called "sponge cake" and not "roll cake" because unlike the Swiss strawberry or other jam roll cake, it's larger and fluffier. You wait three times during the preparation for the yeast to work its magic :).

    The result is something like this:

    Well, now that I think of it, I guess I can still call the layers of the pound cake "sponge," even if I use the "sponge cake" name for a different king of cake, right?
  6. Fabulist Banned

    Annandale, Virginia, USA
    American English
    Your recipe might produce a "sponge cake," but if you made two thin ones and put one on top of the other with frosting in between, or cut one in half and put frosting in the middle, you would not (or at least I would not) call the layers "sponges." I doubt that there is an alternative to calling the layers of a layer cake "layers." Cakes, especially wedding cakes, can have "tiers," but they might have layers themselves, and would either be separated by space, being held up by pillars, or at least each tier would have a smaller diameter than the one beneath it.
  7. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

    English - US
    I think you have confused the issue by giving a recipe and picture for a different kind of cake. At least that is what I think you have done, because I am confused too. In the first part of the thread you are describing a layer cake. Your recipe and picture are of a loaf cake.

    If I am correct, I suggest that we remove that from the post.

    In AE, a cake made without fat is a "sponge cake", but we would not usually refer to the individual layers of such a cake as "sponges". We would call them 'layers' or 'cake', as has been suggested above.

    I believe that this is different from BE, where they might call the layers 'sponges', as ewie does.
  8. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    Well, to be honest, if there were only two halves (and especially if it was one sponge [or cake:rolleyes:] cut in half), I'd just call them top half and bottom half. I'm fairly sure I'd only call them layers if there were more than two.

    For me, the term cake refers more to the finished product (iced [or 'frosted':eek:] etc.) than the (erm) raw material.

    (By the way, I do actually make cakes ~ this isn't like me answering a question on football ['soccer':D] etc.)
  9. Myridon

    Myridon Senior Member

    English - US
    Sponge cake has whole eggs including yolks so it's not exactly "without fat". If you leave the yolks out, it's angel food cake.

    You make a cake batter. Once the batter is baked, it's cake. Then if you cut it into layers, they would be layers or layers of cake. If you had no plan to put them back together, you could call each piece a cake.
  10. ewie

    ewie Senior Member

    Another Country
    English English
    :eek: I can see we're going to have to open a separate Language of Cake Baking Forum. In the UK batter is the stuff you dip fish in before frying it ... and only that (as far as I'm concerned).
  11. xqby

    xqby Senior Member

    Oxnard, CA
    English (U.S.)
    What do you call cake dough before you bake it, then? Or pancake batter, for instance? Should I start a new thread?

    On topic, Susanna, that picture looks more like sweet bread (as opposed to sweetbreads, which are disgusting) than a cake. In English we have things like cinnamon bread, which seems to me a pretty close analogue to the picture you linked, but yeah, perhaps we're misunderstanding you.
  12. JamesM

    JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

    I would call the mix of ingredients that I pour into the cake pan the batter. The finished product would be the cake.
  13. Hermione Golightly

    Hermione Golightly Senior Member

    British English
    Dough is pastry for pie crusts or bread. I think Susanna should call her 'cake' pannetone because it is more like sweet bread, made with yeast, or the French brioche. We call the mix, 'the cake mixture' or 'mix', not 'dough'.

    Batter in the UK refers to a more runny mix/ture for crepes, pancakes, certain regional delicacies like drop scones, or for dipping items like fish into and then cooking in hot fat.

    Sponge cake layers are not called "sponges".

  14. susanna76 Senior Member

    Hi Cagey, it was a bit confusing. What I meant was to give 2 different recipes: layer cake and loaf cake. Thanks for the loaf cake suggestion!!

    Hi xqby, your comment about cinnamon bread is fabulous! The recipe for the dough -- Hermione would say "mix" (really, what about AE? I've been using both "mix" and "dough" for cakes, and "batter" for the more liquid mix) -- is close enough to my loaf cake. So should I call mine sweet walnut bread? What do you suggest?

Share This Page