balance at two a.m. when I'm half asleep is not to be taken for granted?

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

Does "balance" in the following sentence mean standing? Could you please tell me what the underlined part means?

For one, I'm circus-freak tall, and balance at two a.m. when I'm half asleep is not to be taken for granted.

Source: When the Balls Drop - Page 1

Thanks

• JamesM

Balance here means "the ability to stand without falling over or listing to one side or the other".

He is saying that his balance is not reliable when it is two o'clock in the morning and he's half asleep.

High on grammar

Farsi
    Balance here means "the ability to stand without falling over or listing to one side or the other".

He is saying that his balance is not reliable when it is two o'clock in the morning and he's half asleep.
    If the author had used "my balance", it would have been much more clear, I think. Because he is not talking about "balance" in general; he is talking about his own ability to stand while still sleepy, which should not be taken for granted.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I think he assumed, rightly, that the reader would know he was talking about his balance, knowing the context is that he has got out of bed at two a.m. and he's half asleep. (Although anyone's balance, half asleep, in the dark, is probably precarious.)

High on grammar

Farsi
    I think he assumed, rightly, that the reader would know he was talking about his balance, knowing the context is that he has got out of bed at two a.m. and he's half asleep. (Although anyone's balance, half asleep, in the dark, is probably precarious.)

Thank you all

< Previous | Next >