Bald ain’t gonna make that much of a difference

amateurr

Russian
“hey, he’s still marrying you with that nose. Bald ain’t gonna make that much of a difference.”

I’m a bit confused by “bald” here. "Bald" is an adjective but in this case it’s used as if it is a noun. the only definition for "bald" as a noun is "A mountain summit or crest that lacks forest growth despite a warm climate conducive to such, as is found in many places in the Southern Appalachian Mountains"

Maybe it implies “being bald ain’t gonna make that much of a difference” or perhaps “bald spot”. What do you think?

• suzi br

English / England
    It is elliptical, and certainly just short for being bald or going bald. It's obviously a comic text, are these gay men? Otherwise going bald in a woman is a pretty rare state of affairs!

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In this case I assume that "bald" is equivalent to "baldness" - but without more context I can't tell what the sentence means.
    Whose nose?
    Whose baldness?

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Righty-ho.

This is part of a dialogue.

A is getting married on Saturday.
    She has lost her hair because of a defect in some kind of beauty product.
    She is talking to B.
    A: I only used it once and I woke up looking like this! I'm getting married on Saturday.
    B: Hey, he’s still marrying you with that nose. Bald ain’t gonna make that much of a difference.
    ... paraphrased somewhat ...
    B: Hey, he has agreed to marry you despite the fact that you have an unattractive nose. The fact that you are now bald is surely not going to change anything.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    It means "if he will marry you despite the fact you have an unnatractive nose, the additional fact that you are bald will not make that much of a difference to him."

Addition: Oops -- Added because I had not seen Panj's; that will teach me to walk away from the keyboard with a message that is begin but not yet sent...

< Previous | Next >