bald eagle

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
Does this sentence have any mistakes?
"The bald eagle was chosen as the emblem of the united states because it is a native to North America."
Thanks.

• l3376876

Banned
    Chinese, Taiwan
    Hi,
    Does this sentence have any mistakes?
    "The bald eagle was chosen as the emblem of the united states because it is a native to North America."
    Thanks.
    In terms of traditional grammar, it should go like this,
    "The bald eagle was chosen as the emblem of the united states because it was native to North America."

Or,

"The bald eagle is chosen as the emblem of the united states because it is native to North America."

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    In terms of traditional grammar, it should go like this,
    "The bald eagle was chosen as the emblem of the united states because it was native to North America."

Or,

"The bald eagle is chosen as the emblem of the united states because it is native to North America."
    But is it acceptable to say this:
    "The bald eagle is chosen as the emblem of the United States because it is a native of North America"?

l3376876

Banned
    Chinese, Taiwan
    "The bald eagle is chosen as the emblem of the United States because it is a native of North America"?
    If there is no previous context, yes, it is acceptible. We simply describe a fact.:)

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Mimi, it is a native of North America but one says "native to North America" to indicate that it's only natural home is North America. For example:

"The Koala Bear is native to Australia" (it exists nowhere else in the wild);
    "The Koala Bear in the Vancouver Zoo in British Columbia, Canada, is a native of Australia" (it is from Australia although this particular animal no longer lives there)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Mimi, it is a native of North America but one says "native to North America" to indicate that it's only natural home is North America. For example:

"The Koala Bear in the Vancouver Zoo in British Columbia, Canada, is a native of Australia" (it is from Australia although this particular animal no longer lives there)
    Thank you, Dimcl.
    You are so wise! you know everything!
    You are helpful to me, as usual.
    Now I know how to differentiate between "a native of" and "native to".:)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese

Hi, Dimcl.
    I have one more question:
    Why is "The Koala Bear"? Why not "A Koala Bear"?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, Dimcl.
    I have one more question:
    Why is "The Koala Bear"? Why not "A Koala Bear"?
    Because, as a species, there is only one Koala Bear. We say "the" Koala Bear when speaking of the species as a whole. It's the same reason as we said "The" Bald Eagle... because there is only one type of bird called a Bald Eagle.

l3376876

Banned
    Chinese, Taiwan
    Because, as a species, there is only one Koala Bear. We say "the" Koala Bear when speaking of the species as a whole. It's the same reason as we said "The" Bald Eagle... because there is only one type of bird called a Bald Eagle.
    Excellent parse, Dimcl. Nevertheless, are the following sentences different in meaning to you?
    1. The horse is a useful animal.
    2. A horse is a useful animal.
    2. Horses are useful animals.

Please disperse my doubts for me. Thanks.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Dimcl.
    You helped me understand deeply about the sentence.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Excellent parse, Dimcl. Nevertheless, are the following sentences different in meaning to you?
    1. The horse is a useful animal.:tick: Here you are referring to the species of animal (ie. "The spider is a creepy insect" or "The zebra is an animal with stripes")
    2. A horse is a useful animal. :tick: Here you are referring to any horse
    2. Horses are useful animals. :tick: As above but in the plural

Please disperse my doubts for me. Thanks.

l3376876

Banned
    Chinese, Taiwan
    Thanks, Dimcl, for the further parse. But I wonder if the 3 statements indicate the same idea to you. For me, yes. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >