Bald in the middle of one's head


Do we have any expression or word, other than medical terms, to say such type of hair? (usually on men's head)

E.g. He has a bald patch in the middle of his head.

  • Egmont

    Senior Member
    English - U.S.
    I'd say "bald spot," too.

    If I wanted to sound medical, I might say "an early stage of male pattern baldness," but that also includes receding hair at the temples.


    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    To my mind, a bald patch is likely to be temporary and likely to have had a specific physical cause.
    For example, babies often develop a bald patch on the back of their head because they move their head about while lying asleep.

    A bald spot is likely to be permanent - and to get bigger :)
    < Previous | Next >