balk at this price

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I read this sentence in a vocabulary book:

Only well-heeled business people won't balk at this price, especially when buyers can get just 3 hours of battery life.

I was wondering whether it is idiomatic to use balk at in this context, since balk at means :You definitely do not want to do it or to let it happen.(Collins)

• rhitagawr

British English
    It sounds all right to me. You were shocked to see that the price was so unreasonable.
    Cross-posted with Charliewyoung. Perhaps there's a difference between BE and AE. The price was certainly an obstacle to your buying the thing.

Sun14

Chinese
    It sounds all right to me. You were shocked to see that the price was so unreasonable.
    Cross-posted with Charliewyoung. Perhaps there's a difference between BE and AE. The price was certainly an obstacle to your buying the thing.
    Actually, the vocabulary book gives the definition of "balk at the price": "not hesitate to pay for the price". Is it correct?

See correction in post 8.

Last edited:

sound shift

English - England
    No. "To balk/baulk at the price" implies that you were interested in buying something but lost interest immediately you discovered the price. The sentence at post 1) sounds fine to me: only well-heeled (= wealthy) business people won't lose interest when they discover the price.

Last edited:

Sun14

Chinese
    No. "To balk/baulk at the price" implies that you were interested in buying something but lost interest immediately you discovered the price - so the sentence at post 1) sounds fine to me.
    Sorry. That is a typo. See correction in post 8. Then I guess it is idiomatic. Am I right?

Sun14

Chinese
    Actually, the vocabulary book gives the definition of "balk at the price": "hesitate to pay for the price". Is it correct?

< Previous | Next >