balletic freeway system

< Previous | Next >

natasha_139

Chinese
As the title, what is balletic freeway system. I can imagine what it looks like. But i cannot find specific Chinese word to translate it. Could anyone give me a word that replaces "balletic" so that i can have clearer picture. Thank you~~:)

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Hi,

A freeway system like a ballet

I assume it means "graceful" "precise" maybe even "beautiful".

What is the article about?

natasha_139

Chinese
    Hi,

A freeway system like a ballet

I assume it means "graceful" "precise" maybe even "beautiful".

What is the article about?

Here is one para. for your reference:
    Compared to Indian cities, China’s major cities are a vision of loveliness. It’s as if a wave of liberalization swept through them, washed them clean, lifted their residents out of poverty, and saved them from all the intervening ugliness and misery that industrializing societies have historically experienced. They have a balletic freeway system; snazzy shopping malls; stylish skylines. And there are more homeless folks wandering around in New York and Washington D.C. than in Shanghai and Beijing.

and here is the link of whole passage:http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/23/chinas-beauty-problem

Hello natasha

Please provide context, including a full sentence.

Hi,Loob,pls see my reply to #2

Last edited by a moderator:

Loob

English UK
    Thank you for the extra information, Natasha.

The idea is that Chinese freeways are being compared to ballets/ballet dancers: I'd say the image includes several elements
    (1) graceful, beautiful
    (2) soaring
    (3) forming intricate patterns.

Here's a picture of a Shanghai freeway which, to me, embodies all three - click:).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >