ballons de gaz sous pression

skylang

English
I am trying to clarify what these are. They are located in a petrochemical processing plant, and apparently there are a lot of them. I might have thought they were the spherical gas storage tanks you see in these places, but for one of them the dimension is given as 2,3 metres x 4,6 metres, which doesn't seem big enough for those, besides not being spherical. Does anyone know exactly what this refers to and what you call them in English?

• jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    There are many shapes and sized for gas storage tanks, including cylinders that could reasonably be something on the order of 15 ft long (~4.6m) and 7.5 ft in diameter (~2.3m). Here's a photo.

I did find a couple of notes of interest in the GDT. The first is about general usage of ballon in génie climatique, and observes that the term is improperly used to designate a cylindrical reservoir. The second is for the oil and natural gas industry and defines the term ballon as a container used for pressurized storage.

That said, I have never heard such tanks called ballons, and I don't see a lot of google hits on this term. Could you provide us with a sentence or two for more context?

If you're just looking for a general translation, you can safely call all of these storage forms "tanks," any anything of that geometry a "cylinder".... but if you need something more precise or industry-specific, you might want to wait for more opinions. :)

Last edited:

skylang

English
    Here's an example:

"Scenario: Défaillance d'un ballon de gaz sous pression.

Les équipements travaillant avec du gaz sous-pression sont nombreux dans l'installation. Nous pouvons notamment citer: les ballons vide vite, les compresseurs, les unités de déshyratation des gaz..."

"Cylinder" or "gas storage cylinder" sounds good, unless someone has a better idea.

Fred_C

Français
    I think it is allowed to called "ballon" in French a tank that is not spherical, but only cylindrical, because the needed shape to be called "ballon" is round.
    This is especially allowed for metal tanks, as if it was considered too difficult to make a sperical metal tank...

There are some examples where English uses the word "cylinder" to name a cylindrical metal tank. In French, I do not think you can ever use "cylindre". You either say "bouteille" or "ballon", depending on the size of the tank, or the thickness of the metal.

skylang

English
    Okay, well, this is beginning to make sense, because the photo shows tanks that are cylindrical but with hemispherical ends. I think that in English, the word "cylinder" is used when that's the general shape for pressurised tanks, ignoring the hemispherical ends. I don't think I've ever heard of "cylinder" applying to a sheet metal liquid tank, its just "tank". "Bottle" is only used for a small tank, like with a welder's torch. But for a large tank that is completely spherical, "cylinder" wouldn't be correct, it would have to be either "tank" or "spherical tank", I think. A "balloon" in English has to be inflatable, so could never apply to a metal container.

Thanks for all the help.