Ballot

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Please, do you American have a kind of card to cast your ballot? Or can you vote with your ID only?
    Thanks!
    The regulations vary by state. In most states, any government issued identification is adequate. Most people use a Driver's License. I use a passport at times. Living in a very small town, some people do not need to present any identification, as the election workers recognize their neighbors!

Short answer: We do not have a form of ID specific to voting.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Taking this a bit further, and seeking clarification of long-standing, half-understood affairs—> Just what positions are up for grabs this week in the US.
    Is it really true that public offices are all electable - even that of dog-catcher?
    If not all senate seats are up for grabs, is it never possible to throw out all the senate and elect a fresh lot?

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Taking this a bit further, and seeking clarification of long-standing, half-understood affairs—> Just what positions are up for grabs this week in the US.
    Is it really true that public offices are all electable - even that of dog-catcher?
    If not all senate seats are up for grabs, is it never possible to throw out all the senate and elect a fresh lot?
    In federal terms, 1/3 of the Senate and the entire House of Representatives are up for election. This is the case every two years as senators serve 6-year terms on alternating schedules whereas reps serve 2-year terms. Lots of mayoral positions are up, I voted for the governor of California (not Arnold this time ;) ), you can approve or disapprove of court appointments, vote for city councilmen and other local things like that, and then you can vote on measures that were put on the ballot to be decided by the people such as whether or not gay marriage should be legalized (this was not on the ballot in my state, I don't believe, but if it was, I voted for legalization). In California we get lots of road-related ballot measures in terms of how much we're going to spend on it, and lots of other stuff. You can read through the things I chose on here for Orange County, but specifically for Mission Viejo, Orange County, California, USA:

http://www.ocvote.com/election/gen2006/gen2006.htm

I'm currently residing in North Carolina at school, so I sent in my absentee ballot last week. The measures are interesting, if you want to take a look at them, also if you click on the Candidate Information>Candidate list with statements, you can see the whole thing. Here is how I voted on some of the bigger ones:

Governor: Phil Angelides (Democrat)

Lieutenant Governor: Lynnette Shaw (Libertarian)

Secretary of State: Gail K. Lightfoot (Libertarian)

United States Senator: Michael S. Metti (Libertarian) <--I like this guy on most issues, but he won't win!

United States Representative, 42nd district: My mom <--The only candidate is Republican Gary Miller who is, in my opinion, a crook. I refused to vote for him, so now my mom, a former German citizen, has got a vote for the House of Representatives!

And one measure just to give an example:

Alternative energy. Research, production, incentives. Tax on California oil producers. Initiative and statute. Establishes $4 billion program to reduce petroleum consumption through incentives for alternative energy, education and training. Funded by tax on California oil producers. Fiscal Impact: State oil tax revenues of $225 million to $485 million annually for alternative energy programs totaling $4 billion. State and local revenue reductions up to low tens of millions of dollars annually.

I voted YES :tick: on this one. I know what you might be saying: "What kind of Libertarian are you??" A very strange one, indeed. ;)

Edit: By the way, it's not common practice here to admit who and what you voted for to absolute strangers, but I am always willing to defend my positions..but in this case it's to educate!

< Previous | Next >