bambini e ragazzi

stanfal

Italy / Italian
Ciao!
I always have the same problem... How would you translate 'bambini e ragazzi'? I know from the context (we are talking about toys) that 'ragazzi' is not addressed to 'teenagers', so I thought I could write 'kids and children'...but I'm afraid they are synonyms!!! Può andar bene lo stesso?

Thanks
S.

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    stanfal said:
    Ciao!
    I always have the same problem... How would you translate 'bambini e ragazzi'? I know from the context (we are talking about toys) that 'ragazzi' is not addressed to 'teenagers', so I thought I could write 'kids and children'...but I'm afraid they are synonyms!!! Può andar bene lo stesso?

Thanks
    S.
    I have the same problem -- what's the cut-point between "babies", "toddlers", "children", "kids", "adolescents" -- teenagers is easy.

Babies - usually means they can't walk - <~15 months
    Toddlers - usually walk or learning to, then up to 3-4 years
    Children - birth to adolescence
    Kids - broader - could be anything less that 18
    Adolescence - puberty to ~18?
    Teenager - 13-19

Difficult in Italian.
    Bambini - ? up to age 5? (you are a better judge)
    Ragazzi - 5-50:) ?

Often, toys will give recommended ages on their packaging instead of using a descriptor. In your case maybe say "Recommended for children up to age XXX". Kids is a little informal, children would be used in writing more often.

Temis

Italian
    Hi!
    In Italy the term "ragazzi" is very spread. It can means people from 15 to 30 years old.For example one 60 years old italian can call one 40 years old person with the term "ragazzo".
    In fact in Italy is a very useful esxpression the "guarda che bel ragazzo" (look what a beautiful guy).
    You can translate "ragazzi" like "teenagers" but remeber that you can use this term also with older persons.I think that teenagers is like the italian word "adolescente"."ragazzo" is a more general term.
    For examples if you meet on the street a very beautifull girl you don't have to tell :"Che bella donna"(What a beautifull women,but it isn't a very popular italian expression) but i can say: "Che bella ragazza" (What a beautiful girl).
    bambino its like the english word "Children" and you can use this term with person from 0 to 10 years old.
    If you have any doubt, ask me them!
    Ciao

stanfal

Italy / Italian
    TimLA said:
    I have the same problem -- what's the cut-point between "babies", "toddlers", "children", "kids", "adolescents" -- teenagers is easy.

Toddlers - usually walk or learning to, then up to 3-4 years
    Kids - broader - could be anything less that 18 (I thought it was the other way round, that is kids were younger than children!) but as you pointed out, it's not just a matter of age, 'kid' is more informal
    Teenager - 13-19 adolescenti

Difficult in Italian.
    Bimbo is a diminutive of bambino, but it gives the idea of a toddler, at least as to age range.
    Bambino can be consedered up to 8/10 years, than you use the word 'ragazzino' (especially nowadays!!), still a diminutive form of ragazzo but conveying this specific meaning and covering - I guess - the age up to 14, more or less. Anyway I think it's still colloquial, and ragazzo is the other option, as we can see from the original text of my translation!:eek:

Ragazzi - 5-50:) ? ...why did you stop to 50?!?!?!? someone might disagree ;)

Often, toys will give recommended ages on their packaging instead of using a descriptor. In your case maybe say "Recommended for children up to age XXX". Kids is a little informal, children would be used in writing more often.
    Thanks Tim
    S.

Silvia

Italian
    stanfal said:
    Ciao!

Thanks
    S.
    Senza altre informazioni... si potrebbe dire children and up to young adults o qualcosa del genere. Eventualmente ci sono le età dei giochi?

Ho l'impressione comunque che, per quanto riguarda i giochi in scatola, di solito ci si riferisca ai ragazzi fino ai 13/14 anni, proprio perchè non si può definirli bambini. L'infanzia cessa di esistere con lo sviluppo, che può variare da persona a persona dai 9 ai 14 anni (in linea di massima 10/11 anni, il che coincide con la fine delle scuole elementari e l'ingresso nelle scuole medie, almeno una volta era così, ora con la riforma scolastica è difficile stare al passo)

P.S.: Le età specificate per i giochi di solito sono quelle minime... quelle massime dipendono solo dal grado di alzheimer che uno raggiunge... :rolleyes:

kap

english/italiano (bilingual)
    QUOTE:

Toddlers - usually walk or learning to, then up to 3-4 years I would stop at 3 - just get the feeling my little boy would have been offended by the "toddler" reference at the age of 4.
    Infant - more of a formal term used when you're filling out official forms - interestingly it indicates a little being who lacks the gift of speech.
    Kids - broader - could be anything less that 18 (I thought it was the other way round, that is kids were younger than children!) but as you pointed out, it's not just a matter of age, 'kid' is more informal
    Youngster - a young lad/lass (anything between 10 and 20)?
    Lad/Lass - colloquial (lad more common than lass - unless you're in Scotland) refers to same age-group as youngsters.
    Teenager - 13-19 adolescenti

Difficult in Italian.
    Bimbo is a diminutive of bambino, but it gives the idea of a toddler, at least as to age range.
    Bambino can be considered up to 8/10 years, than you use the word 'ragazzino' (especially nowadays!!), still a diminutive form of ragazzo but conveying this specific meaning and covering - I guess - the age up to 14, more or less. Anyway I think it's still colloquial, and ragazzo is the other option, as we can see from the original text of my translation!
    :eek:
    Giovanotto - a bit like lad (just for males) - anything between 12 and 25 I'd say. However the word also implies other considerations. Context can reflect qualitative appreciations: "un bel giovanotto" a handsome young lad!
    Ragazzi - 5-50:) ? ...why did you stop to 50?!?!?!? someone might disagree ;) Whoever disagrees should have a little more respect for the real youth. ;) I'd stop at 25.
    I would also start later than 5. If it makes sense, I feel age-group terminology can sometimes be linked to schooling - bambini vanno a Scuola Elementare (up to 10/11 years old) - ragazzi vanno alle Medie e poi al Liceo, till they are 18/19.

For what they are worth, my thoughts in GREEN on the subject.

Don't take it as gospel - we all have subjective interpretations I believe.

kap

ElaineG

USA/English
    Le età specificate per i giochi di solito sono quelle minime... quelle massime dipendono solo dal grado di alzheimer che uno raggiunge...
    Qui invece i nostri giochi hanno solitamente una minima e una massima, e poi c'è sempre la frase "for children of all ages" (che funziona come un permesso per gli adulti infantili!)

Girl_Afraid

Italian - Italy
    Salve a tutti, riapro questa discussione perché mi è capitato un problema simile.
    Frase in italiano: "Dal 2005 insegna presso l'associazione culturale XXX, corso di disegno e pittura per bambini e ragazzi."
    Mia traduzione: "Since 2005 she works at XXX cultural association as a drawing and painting teacher for children and young people."
    Può andare secondo voi, o meglio usare semplicemente "for children"?
    Grazie mille :)

Ceithre

English - Ireland
    I've just pulled this up again but it has left me just as confused as before.
    In the novel I'm translating the kids are what we would call "tweens", it's one of those quest/ growing up novels.Up to this I've translated "Ragazzi" (3 boys and a girl - dammit) as "children", but I'm beginning to wonder if after they've traipsed across half of war-torn Germany, it's the best term. Using "Youngster" as in "the youngsters stowed away on the train" sounds strange to me. Anyone have any ideas? Or should I stick to children?

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    Ragazzi is a tricky word in Italian. My friends and I call ourselves "ragazzi" although we're all in our late 40s. If you can call them "tweens" you can also call them "adolescents".

Ceithre

English - Ireland
    Ragazzi is a tricky word in Italian. My friends and I call ourselves "ragazzi" although we're all in our late 40s. If you can call them "tweens" you can also call them "adolescents".
    oh defnitely. But the thing is that classifying them as adolescents or tweens or teens is one thing, using it as a noun in a piece of fiction is another. If there were only the three males I would use "boys" or "lads" but that girl in there makes things difficult for me. Trying to remember when I read books about kids it seems to me that they used "the four (of them)" a lot. I hoped someone would have a better solution

rrose17

Canada, English
    Personally I don't have a problem with the word "youngsters" here, although it does sound somehow more cheerful than children, which may or may not fit.

Ceithre

English - Ireland
    Personally I don't have a problem with the word "youngsters" here, although it does sound somehow more cheerful than children, which may or may not fit.
    Thanks! feeling a bit braver now! I took out children and substituted 'youngsters' and 'group' amazing how often you can use "ragazzi" in a page and not notice it till you substuitute it with youngsters!!

< Previous | Next >