Bangs? Fringes? Forelocks?

Jansay

Türkçe
Hello!

I'd like to learn the differences (if there are any) between those words mentioned on the title, and other varieties. Also, I'd like to know which word to use to describe precisely the parts of hair shown in the following picture.

http://i58.tinypic.com/dlt4yg.jpg

They could be bangs or fringes, but when I image google either of them I get different hairstyles, hence I couldn't be sure and wanted to ask here.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The young woman in the photo wears bangs (or a fringe in BE, as JulianStuart says). As to the circled areas, they're stray strands of hair, although I guess some might call them ringlets.

Mrs JJJ

USA
    English (British)
    One might also refer to them as tendrils. (Or tendrils of hair if it is not immediately obvious that one is referring to hair.)

Or wisps of hair
    . I think of wisps of hair as small, and possibly unintentional.

I think that forelock is usually used in reference to men's hair. It's a small bit of hair at the front. It's quite old-fashioned now and, in my opinion, is used mostly figuratively, in variants on the phrase "tugging his forelock" to indicate that someone is being deferential, in the manner of a servant. I presume that a servant would once have tugged his forelock as a mark of respect, instead of raising his hat, as he wouldn't have been wearing a hat.

Forelock is also quite often used in descriptions of horses.

Last edited:

Jansay

Türkçe
    I think "strands of hair" is most probably what I was looking for. Thank you all again for your help.

Vanloon

Hindi
    [This question and the following posts have been added to a previous thread in which the subject of "bangs" is discussed. Please read down from the top. DonnyB - moderator]
    Wonder

They know what they're saying. And that is definitely not fun for me. One of the reasons I grew my hair long last year was that I like how my bangs cover my eyes: it helps me block out the things I don't want to see.

Q: what is bang here?

Last edited by a moderator:

reno33

English - USA
    Bangs are part of your (natural) hair that is found around the forehead and when it becomes long enough, these long hairs (bangs) cover your eyes. (Many dogs have bangs also).

Packard

USA, English
    Bangs are part of your (natural) hair that is found around the forehead and when it becomes long enough, these long hairs (bangs) cover your eyes. (Many dogs have bangs also).
    View attachment 31720
    View attachment 31719
    The dog has the advantage of two inch long eyelashes that move the hair out of the line of sight so that they can see. Driving with hair like the subject on the left could get you a summons for "obstructed vision" in a car.

< Previous | Next >