bank account and funds

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
People keep their money in the bank.
They can keep the money in a regular bank account when they need a certain amount of money to pay for common things in life, like transportation and meals.
At the end of the month, the money that is not spent may be transferred to a different kind of account.
Here in my region we call it a "fund".
It's a type of account from which you can't make withdrawals at anytime and that rewards the account holder with more money at the end of a time period.
For example, if you put 1000 dollars in a "fund" and keep it there for a time period, at the end of that period the bank will pay you 10 dollars for that. You'll have, then, 1010 dollars at the end of that time period.
How do you say in English this type of account, please?
  • panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In my experience there is no consistent term to describe this.
    Have a look at the websites of major banks in the UK and elsewhere to see if you can find anything that meets your description.


    Senior Member
    American English
    I would call it a "time deposit account" -- but I'm sure you'll get other answers, as well. Here is a Wikipedia article that discusses time deposit, fixed deposit and bond. It begins with this: A time deposit (also known as a term deposit, particularly in Canada, Australia and New Zealand; a bond in the United Kingdom; fixed deposit in India and in some other countries) is a money deposit at a banking institution that cannot be withdrawn for a certain "term" or period of time.
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    American English (Mostly MidAtlantic)
    In the US we have a 'savings' account which earns interest but money can be added or withdrawn at any time. We also have a timed deposit, called a Certificate of Deposit or CD. The money must stay in the instrument for a specified period of time and earns more interest than a savings account.
    < Previous | Next >