Bank clearing number

< Previous | Next >

Axcor

Hello!
This is my first time in your forum... I'm a new member and I speak only a little English :confused:.
I wuold be happy if someone of you could explain me what is the "bank clearing number".
My healt insurance want know it but I have no idea! I know only that it's not the account number because there is another question about it.

thank you for your help! Bye bye, Ax

• Macunaíma

português, Brasil
    Well, although I work in a bank, I cannot speak "bank language" in English, but I'll try to give you a clue. A "clearing house" is an organization, a kind of central office or something, set up by the banks within a country and it serves the purpose of exchanging cheques and electronic money transfers between them. Every bank that participates in it has a number, a code, by which they are identified. This code is usually written on your cheque (at least here in my country), and you don't have to inform it when you deposit a cheque from another bank in your account, but you have when you make an electronic transfer to another bank than yours. That's probably why your insurance company asked you what your bank's clearing number ( here whe just say "bank's number") is: because they need to send money to your account, perhaps?

Axcor

Thank you very much Macunaima, I have understood what is this number and I have found it via internet. I think is it only for switzerland bank, isn't it? At least in Italy there is not, but this is not important. I have solved my problem, thanks!

jack10

English
    Here is a list of clearing numbers: rightinfonow.com/clearing-number (add 'www' in front of URL)

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    International Bank Account Numbers (IBAN) are used throughout the EU and neighbouring states (including Switzerland) for international payments. The system is used by Italian banks. The US has another numbering system, but I cannot remember what it is called.

eixart

Catalan
    International Bank Account Numbers (IBAN) are used throughout the EU and neighbouring states (including Switzerland) for international payments. The system is used by Italian banks. The US has another numbering system, but I cannot remember what it is called.

Hi, folks!
    I think the US system is called "bank routing code", to be added before the client's account number. Hope it helps!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    "bank routing code"
    This is correct for the US for internal use too.

My UK accounts have sort codes which indicate which bank and branch manages the account or accounts. I also have IBANs to be used for international/ EU payments.
    I can't recall about sort code equivalents ( for inside the country) in the European countries I have accounts in because I only use the IBANs these days.

:)
    Hermione

< Previous | Next >