banned/regulated

Kernow

ENGLAND & ENGLISH
I was just wondering if my translations of these two questions below are correct?:

"Do you think english words should be banned? Do you think english words should be regulated?"

changes to...

"Pensez-vous que les mots anglais devraient être interdits? Pensez-vous que les mots anglais devraient être réglés?"

Are interdit and réglé the correct words to be using in this situation? The context is in reference to english words in the french language...

Thanks,

Kernow

• Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I'm not really the one who should answer you but to start off the line...

It may just be because the sentences are out of context but they sound a bit strange to me.
    Why should a Frenchman decide about English words to be banned or regulated... unless those used in French are meant?

In the second question, there is another thing sous-entendu, that I'd rather express with words: the use of (+ ... in French).
    It is the usage that should be regulated or not, not the words themselves, isn't it?

Kernow

ENGLAND & ENGLISH
    um, i don't really know what you are getting at. sorry. but i do like your idea of using 'l'usage' instead of just 'english words'. it makes more sense now...

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    What I meant for the first sentence is that an outsider who reads that question for the first time would understand what you mean probably better if "in French/en français" was added like this:

Pensez-vous que les mots anglais devraient être interdits en français?

But I'd leave the real appreciation to a native speaker.

< Previous | Next >