Banyan

< Previous | Next >

kahroba

Persian
Dear everybody!

Could anyone say what "Banyan" means in the following text taken from "Camera Eye (5), "The 42nd Parallel", USA, written by John Dos Passos:
Time: around 1900s
and we played the battle of Port Arthur in the bathtub and the water leaked down through the drwingroom ceiling and it was altoghether too bad but in Kew Gardens old Mr. Garnet who was still hale and hearty although very old came to tea ... and aunty said it was a sailor's gait ...

and we got to talking about Hadmiral Togo and the Banyan and how the Roosians drank so much Vodka and killed all those poor fisherlads in the North Sea Yes I was a bluejacket miself miboy from the time I was a little shaver...

Unquote
Thank you all in advance

• Arrius

English, UK
    The Banyan is an oriental tree of which there are certain to be exemplars in the Botanical Gardens of Kew. It has wide leaves and provides ample shade, so that it was the tree under which the Indian prince who was to become the Buddha used to sit and meditate.

kahroba

Persian
    Dear Randisi
    You're such a dear jewel! (can I say that?)
    I'm so excited because it was a dilema for such a long time. Yes!
    You're more than right because this Camera Eye is all about sea: Battle of Port Arthur, the old sailor, sailors' rolling gait, Admiral Togo, killing fisherlads in the North Sea, bluejacket, and many other naval terms there which I did not quote.

And the Banyan link you sent for me is a naval term:

Banyan - (RCN/UK) A barbecue or party on the flight deck, usually with steaks and beer. The term is derived from ‘banian’, a garment worn by an East Indian sect which neither kills nor eats meat (‘Banyan’ is a species of tree). In the 18th century, the British navy denied its sailors meat on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; these days were known as ‘banian (or Banyan) days.’ The term has now come to mean just the opposite. The USN form is STEEL BEACH (without the beer).

< Previous | Next >