Barack Obama, bro do you even lift

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "Barack Obama, bro do you even lift" mean "Barack Obama, brother, do you do weight lifting?"

Thanks in advance
LOS ANGELES (AP) - President Barack Obama is entertaining Jimmy Kimmel's audience with some of the mean tweets sent his way.

An example: "Barack Obama, bro do you even lift?"

The president replies: "Well, I lifted the ban on Cuban cigars. That's worth something."

SOURCE

• owlman5

English-US
    Yes, that's what it means. That's kind of funny, and it's an obvious reference to the fact that he's skinny. He sure as hell doesn't look like a weightlifter.

Juhasz

English - United States
    "Do you even lift" is an internet meme (a joke that's repeated endlessly in online forums, blogs and social networks, often accompanying a humorous image). The question is almost always asked ironically, as a parody of the kind of insult a meathead weightlifter might imagine to be truly devastating. Thus, this tweet was a joke, not intended to insult President Obama, but instead to satirize Obama's meathead detractors, and not really a "mean tweet" (or at least, not mean to Obama).

Doing a little bit of research, I found that this phrase's origin was, in fact, unironic: the question, with this phrasing, seems to have first appeared in a discussion in a weightlifting forum, wherein one user challenged another user's credibility by suggesting that the latter was so unknowledgeable, he must not even lift weights (Do You Even Lift? | Know Your Meme).

owlman5

English-US
    I hope you enjoyed the time you spent on researching this, Juhasz. It seems like an awful lot of trouble for a random question about some remark from the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Juhasz

English - United States
    Someday, perhaps, this question will come up in a round of pub trivia, and I'll be very glad that I looked this up.

< Previous | Next >