Barbecue / Barbeque - US/UK/Aus...?

uas60

English; Urdu; Student of Arabic/French
Hi all, so I'm currently a little confused about which one I like to use more (as a Brit)... It's a word I don't have to write often but are there any regional preferences?

My stubborn brain doesn't like "barbeque" because it just seems like a corruption between "barbecue" and "BBQ" but both seem to be valid.

• owlman5

English-US
    I associate "BBQ" with signs I used to see along the road in the sixties in the southern US. "Barbecue" is what I normally see nowadays in restaurants that serve the stuff.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "barbeque" is just a misspelling, plain simple. As you say, UAS, it is a corruption, and it's just icky. (Sorry to get so technical there. ;) ) So spell it the real way, which is "barbecue."

Edit: BBQ is OK as an abbreviation, so it doesn't bother me. My only problem with it is that it seems to encourage people to spell "barbecue" with a Q as well, and that is, of course, just icky.

Myridon

English - US
    Barbeque is quite common out here to the point that I wouldn't say it's a misspelling (any more than theatre or colour ;)). Our Spanish speaking neighbors might argue that we are all misspelling barbacoa.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "barbeque" is just a misspelling, plain simple. As you say, UAS, it is a corruption, and it's just icky. (Sorry to get so technical there. ;) ) So spell it the real way, which is "barbecue."

Edit: BBQ is OK as an abbreviation, so it doesn't bother me. My only problem with it is that it seems to encourage people to spell "barbecue" with a Q as well, and that is, of course, just icky.
    There will be quite a few on that limb, but it's sturdy for a few more years yet, I think. (But only a few more, mind!)

By icky do you mean grotescue :eek: ?
    Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, the que form is becoming more common and has spawned (pun intended, as in even more grotescue) a spelling of the word queue - it is now showing up as "que" 'cos that's how it's spelled in barbeque! :eek: Did I say I hated it yet?

UAS60 - barbeque is indeed a corruption :D

owlman5

English-US
    There will be quite a few on that limb, but it's sturdy for a few more years yet, I think. (But only a few more, mind!)

By icky do you mean grotescue :eek: ?
    Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, the que form is becoming more common and has spawned (pun intended, as in even more grotescue) a spelling of the word queue - it is now showing up as "que" 'cos that's how it's spelled in barbeque! :eek: Did I say I hated it yet?

UAS60 - barbeque is indeed a corruption :D
    But don't mention that idea in Texas, Julian. Those guys know their barbeque, and if they want to spell it that way, I wouldn't dare tell them they're wrong. Myridon's got a point.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    But don't mention that idea in Texas, Julian. Those guys know their barbeque, and if they want to spell it that way, I wouldn't dare tell them they're wrong. Myridon's got a point.
    I didn't actually say it's "wrong", just that it's a corruption :D Those creep into the language occasionally, but often before one meets the word for the first time and the "corruption" is now the "modern, correct" form.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I'll tell them they're wrong, if you like, Owlman: Hey! You guys in Texas! It's spelled b-a-r-b-e-c-u-e! Look it up in a dictionary, why don't you!

There. That should settle it, right? ;) Yeah, riiiiiiight. (Edit: And BTW, I know guys in Texas who spell it with a "c." So it's not quite universal, thank goodness. I actually just made a bet with a friend in Texas, and it involves - and I quote - "5 pounds of Texas barbecue.")

Because you've got to draw a line somewhere, don't you? If we give in on barbeque, the very next step will be cold slaw (no, I am not making that up, alas) or crapes or samwich.

Last edited:

ribran

English - American
    I agree that "barbecue" is the correct spelling in AmE, and that's the spelling I'm used to seeing.

(By the way, did you know that we Texans are required by law to eat nothing but barbecue? ... just kidding​)

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I am pretty sure the Aussie's spell it "barbeque". At least my New Zealand friend does....
    Strange. I would have said "barbecue" or "BBQ" (or, of course, "Barbie"!)

I'm sorry to say I think your Kiwi friend just spells it incorrectly. ;)

Edited to add: A Google search has just reminded me that there is a chain of shops called Barbeques Galore (shudder) here in Aus, but the 1 to 3 preference for "barbecue" reinforces my feeling that that's just plain wrong.

ewie

English English
    Barbecue is the correct spelling in British English.

But everyone ~ and I mean everyone ~ spells it with a q: I believe it's the most commonly misspelt word in BE:)

Yes, it does occasionally stop raining long enough for us to grill a sausage.

Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    Barbeque is quite common out here to the point that I wouldn't say it's a misspelling (any more than theatre or colour ;)). Our Spanish speaking neighbors might argue that we are all misspelling barbacoa.
    I would say the same of Australia. Both spellings are commonly found, for example, in the top newspapers.

This article in the Sydney Morning Herald (2007) contains both spellings in the one article! The heading is:
    Frenchman cooks up world's largest barbeque
    while the first paragraph begins:
    A French cook has prepared the world's largest barbecue ...
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-...argest-barbeque/2007/11/19/1195321638440.html

< Previous | Next >