barbecue v grill

paradespejardudas

Spanish, Argentina
Are there any differences between barbecue and grill? I looked up the words in the dictionary and the difference I could get was that a barbecue is used outdoors, but when I googled the words and looked for pics, I could see no difference at all :confused:

Thanks in advance.

• The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Are there any differences between barbecue and grill? I looked up the words in the dictionary and the difference I could get was that a barbecue is used outdoors, but when I googled the words and looked for pics, I could see no difference at all :confused:

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Para,

A barbecue is indeed used outdoors for grilling food over charcoal.

A grill is part of a cooker in the kitchen, usually located at eye-level. Used for grilling meats, fish, tomatoes, making toast, etc.

Here is a picture of a cooker with the oven below and the grill above.

Driven

USA/English
    The word grill is often used for barbecue but barbecue is not used for grill. In other words, the barbecue which is used outside can also be called a grill. A grill can be used inside or outside. I often say, "I'm going to cook chicken on the grill" when I mean the barbecue grill. But I would never say, "I'm going to cook chicken on the barbecue" when I mean on the inside grill. Did I confuse you?

Barbecue = outside grill
    Grill = inside/outside

Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English

Thanks in advance.
    The dictionary is correct. Many of the indoor 'grills' are large, rectangular, flat heated surfaces, used for frying. Many restaurants use them to fry eggs and hashbrowns, among other things, but that type of grill would never be called a barbecue.

A barbecue grill is not a flat surface, but consists of a metal grillwork over an open flame (usually). The open flame is the reason they are most often used outdoors. Some high end appliance companies include barbecue grills on their rangetops for indoors, but this is not common.

Above references refer to AE...

The Scrivener

Banned
    England. English
    Please be aware that there is substantial difference between the BE meaning of "grill" and the AE meaning of "grill". What the British housewife calls the "grill" in her kitchen, the American housewife would call a "broiler." Here is what an American would think of as a "grill" in a restaurant:

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/1417.jpg

In BE, a grill works by radiating heat powered by gas or electricity.

An electric toaster (grill) has elements within, which one can see glowing.

Is a broiler the same?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    In BE, a grill works by radiating heat powered by gas or electricity.

An electric toaster (grill) has elements within, which one can see glowing.

Is a broiler the same?
    As generally used in AE, one grills an item by applying heat from underneath (you can cook things on a barbecue grill, or grill a sandwich on the restaurant item shown above.) Broiling is similar, except the heat generally comes from above. Besides cooking a steak that way, one might put a creme brulee under a broiler in order to caramelize the sugar on top.

Broilers are frquently on the bottom of American stoves because with old gas stoves, the gas flame that heated the oven was beneath the oven, and the same gas flame -- in this case exposed -- would be in the top of the broiler compartment beneath the oven.

susantash

Español de Uruguay
    Looking at some pictures in google I can quite clearly see that barbecues, like it's been pointed out, are the ones used outdoors. I've also seen that called grill and having read this thread this doesn't cause me any confusions. The only thing that's not completely clear is if you also call barbecue this: http://www.pilcomayo.info/images/fish_on_the_grill.JPG

because I get the impression that this is just a grill for you, despite being used exclusively outside.

Driven

USA/English
    Like I said earlier in the post, a barbecue grill is used exclusively outside but a "grill" can be used indoors or outdoors. The photo that you posted would be called a grill in America. Sometimes people say "grill" as short for "barbecue grill". Grill can be the slotted surface or the flat frying surface like in restaurants. The word "grill" alone is not specific and can refer to both indoor and outdoor cooking surfaces.

sdgraham

USA English
    Like I said earlier in the post, a barbecue grill is used exclusively outside but a "grill" can be used indoors or outdoors. The photo that you posted would be called a grill in America. Sometimes people say "grill" as short for "barbecue grill". Grill can be the slotted surface or the flat frying surface like in restaurants. The word "grill" alone is not specific and can refer to both indoor and outdoor cooking surfaces.
    As you can see, these are terms that cannot be nailed down precisely, particularly when one crosses culinary national boundaries. The good news is that one doesn't have to worry about it.

< Previous | Next >