Barbecue x Barbecued meat

< Previous | Next >

Reborn34

Portuguese
Hello Everyone,

I´ve been doing research on these words(barbecue,barbecued meat) and I´ve come to a conclusion:Barbecue is an event where you make barbecued meat,so you can´t say "I eat barbecue",but "I eat barbecued meat".Please,tell me if my sentence is correct:

"I´m crazy about barbecued meat and I eat it every weekend."

Thanks in advance!

• jpyvr

English - Canadian
    You're correct in what your state above. However, in casual spoken North American English I've certainly heard the expression "I'm crazy about barbecue and eat it every weekend." It seems when speaking about food, we often verbally abbreviate this way. For example, I've also heard "I'm crazy about Chinese and I eat it every weekend," or "I'm crazy about Mexican and I eat it every weekend." In these cases "Chinese" is short for "Chinese food" and "Mexican" is short for "Mexican food."

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I would say that a barbecue is an event or place where you barbecue meat.
    Your sentence is correct but it doesn't sound natural.
    I think I would say 'I love meat cooked/done on the barbecue', or simply 'I love barbecues'.

ewhite

USA/English
    I disagree with the above posters.

"A barbecue" or "the barbecue at the Miller house" is an event.

"Barbecue" without the article is a style of slow cooking meat, or the food that has been slow-cooked in that fashion.

So, yes, one does eat barbecue. I have never heard the expression "barbecued meat" or "barbecued food".

Doofy

English - US
    I agree with eWhite.

"We are going to a barbecue this weekend."

"That restaurant has the best barbecue in town."

You might sometimes hear, "We had barbecued ribs and chicken."

And, at least in the US, it is often abbreviated BBQ!

JamesM

I agree with the above, but I have heard "barbecued meat" before. I have usually encountered in a situation where someone is discussing barbecued meat in general or when referring to different types of barbecued meat, such as barbecued chicken, beef and pork.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/big-ts-bbq-and-smokehouse-calgary-2

They brought out a giant platter of all these different kinds of barbecued meat. There was different smoked meat, chicken, ribs, and pulled pork.

(This page also shows examples of people using "barbecue" to mean "barbecued meat.")

http://www.michaelvanstraten.com/eatinghealthy.php?id=61

For years there have been persistent stories that barbecued meat can be carcinogenic.

(I wouldn't expect "barbecue", meaning "barbecued meat", in a formal statement.)

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2005/jul/06/ndn_cuisine__dry_rubs_and_mop_sauces_for_the_grill/

In general, large pieces of barbecued meat will seem more tender if sliced thinly across the grain for serving.

sistergirl

English - U.S.
    In many areas of the southern U.S., the word "barbecue" (or "barbeque" or "BBQ") by itself is used to refer to pork that has been cooked slowly over a fire, chopped up, and flavored with a sauce or seasonings. Any other kind of grilled meat is "barbecued chicken (or beef or ribs)."

ewhite

USA/English
    The barbecued meat in JamesM's examples probably refer to grilled meat.

Barbecue is what sistergirl said above. My only addition would be that in Texas, barbecue is beef. I know this because I love the Food Network. And barbecue.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I have never heard barbecue used to refer to food.
    Barbecue is the event or the device on which the food is cooked.
    So, I love barbecues, or I love a barbecue, but I don't eat barbecue.

sistergirl

English - U.S.
    This is one of those words that seems to change meaning depending on where in the world you are. Many people define it the way panjandrum does, as being the event and/or the cooker.

To me, "barbecue" conjures up the image of a whole hog cooked over coals, then chopped and seasoned with vinegar, salt, and pepper. As ewhite pointed out, a Texan will have a whole other idea, as will an Alabaman. Indeed, long and passionate debates have been held as to what constitutes "real barbecue."

ewhite

USA/English
    i hereby unsubscribe from this thread lest I be tempted to hop on a plane to Tennessee. Or Kansas City.

< Previous | Next >