barbeque place or barbeque stall

< Previous | Next >

zhonglin

Mandarin
Hi Folks,

<---Unauthorized video deleted by moderator (Copyright)--->

What do you call this? barbeque place or barbeque stall? Can I say, I saw a barbeque stall earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Copyright

American English
    Unauthorized videos are not allowed on the forum. If you would like to describe what you're seeing in the video, and its location (country or city), we will do our best to help.

zhonglin

Mandarin
    OK, My apologies about that. Let me try to describe the situation, let's say my friends and I were walking and we saw a barbecue grill and there's a vendor selling barbecue. What's the best way to tell someone about what we saw.

1) We came across a barbecue shop
    2) We came across a barbecue place
    3) We came across a barbecue business
    4) We came across a barbecue stand
    5) Is there a better way to express this idea?

Myridon

English - US
    we saw a barbecue grill and there's a vendor selling barbecue
    You saw cooking equipment and a person, but you want to know what to call the structure surrounding them. :confused:

<---Reply to a deleted post (Copyright)--->

Last edited by a moderator:

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Where was/is this? I've only come across "hot dog stands / stalls" and "burger stands /stalls" - you can google images to see if they are similar to what you have seen. If they are (similar) but what you saw sold a variety of grilled meats etc. then bother "barbecue stand" and "barbecue stall" would make sense to me.

Copyright

American English
    <---Reply to a deleted post (Copyright)--->
    OK, My apologies about that. Let me try to describe the situation, let's say my friends and I were walking and we saw a barbecue grill and there's a vendor selling barbecue. What's the best way to tell someone about what we saw.

You haven't given us any description at all – a shop is a permanent building, a stall could be a open-air set-up, a business is what the government is going to tax you on, and a stand could be something the barbecue vendor could pick up and take home at the end of the day.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking here. :confused:

Do you mean that this place was selling barbecues (i.e. the cooking equipment)?

Or do you mean they were using barbecues to cook things on, and they were then selling the food?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    In British usage, a barbecue is a meal you cook at home, in your garden or back yard; in Australia you may cook it on the beach.

If a vendor is grilling food for sale, we don't call that a barbecue.

< Previous | Next >