Barber shop/barber's

< Previous | Next >

interwrit

Polish
Hi there! :)

Would you say "barber shop" or "barber's"?

I incline myself to the "barber's" as it is maybe more standard form (like "grocer's", "tailor's").

If so, is it always used with a "the" article? "The barber's", never "a barber's"?

Thanks in advance! :)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think "barber's" is BE, "barber's shop" is AE.

The definite or indefinite article are equally available depending upon context;

"I went to a barber's on Tuesday" - an, as yet, unspecified barber's.
    "I went to the barber's on Tuesday" - usually understood as your regular barber's.

interwrit

Polish

The definite or indefinite article are equally available depending upon context;

"I went to the barber's on Tuesday" - usually understood as your regular barber's.
    Did you mean surely "barber's shop"? Not "barber shop"?

If you meant what you wrote then if in AmE more common is probably the "barber's shop" term is it so as well with -for instance - the "grocer's" and the "tailor's" terms? Would they be in AmE "grocer's shop" and "tailor's shop"?

vivace160

American English

I don't know if it's regional or widespread across the US, but I would say either "barber" or "barber shop" (never with 's) with a personal preference for just "barber".

If in AmE more common is probably the "barber's shop" term is it so as well with -for instance - the "grocer's" and the "tailor's" terms? Would they be in AmE "grocer's shop" and "tailor's shop"?
    I'd never use "grocer", "grocer's", or "grocer's shop". I say "grocery store". As for "tailor's shop", I've never had to go to one, but simply "tailor" sounds most natural to me.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Did you mean surely "barber's shop"? Not "barber shop"?
    I don't think I wrote "barber shop"... I did say, "I think" for the AE version :eek: based on "Barber's shop singers/quartets."

However, you and I see vivace160, an AE speaker, who says the genitive 's' is not used in AE, whereas barber's, grocer's, tailor's, etc., are all used in BE.

sdgraham

USA English

I don't think I wrote "barber shop"... I did say, "I think" for the AE version :eek: based on "Barber's shop singers/quartets."

However, you and I see vivace160, an AE speaker, who says the genitive 's' is not used in AE, whereas barber's, grocer's, tailor's, etc., are all used in BE.
    We (well, at least some of us) do say the "butcher's," the barber's etc. but we say the "butcher shop," the "barber shop."

If you want to get to the meat of the question, you might check: at a/the butcher's :D

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I don't know if it's regional or widespread across the US, but I would say either "barber" or "barber shop" (never with 's) with a personal preference for just "barber".

I'd never use "grocer", "grocer's", or "grocer's shop". I say "grocery store". As for "tailor's shop", I've never had to go to one, but simply "tailor" sounds most natural to me.
    I agree with all of the above.

"Barbershop quartets."

< Previous | Next >