Barber

< Previous | Next >

sandrick

Czech
Hey guys! I plan to have a hair cut this week but I always feel bad in a barber shop. Can someone give me a hint on the common phrases that are in use there? Basically, I just want the barber to shorten my hair (especially around the sides) while keeping them a bit longer on the top. For sure, I can say it this way but it is such a "foreigner's English". Thanks a lot!

• elyse

USA - English
    Say "I just want a trim around the sides, but I'd like to keep it longer on top."

"A trim" is what we say for cutting just a little bit off....like cleaning it up.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hey guys! I plan to have a hair cut this week but I always feel bad in a barber shop. Can someone give me a hint on the common phrases that are in use there? Basically, I just want the barber to shorten my hair (especially around the sides) while keeping them it a bit longer on the top. For sure, I can say it this way but it is such a "foreigner's English". Thanks a lot!
    Actually, your "foreigner's English" is pretty standard, Sandrick. Although Elyse's suggestion of "trim" is a good one, I might very well say to the barber:

"Make it shorter on the sides than on the top" OR
    "Make it short on the sides and longer on the top"

Nothing "foreign" about that!;)

ewie

English English
    Welcome to the forum, Sandrick:)
    You might like to specify how much you'd like removed/left:
    I'd like an inch or so off the sides and back
    Can you leave about three inches on the top?

suzi br

English / England
    Three inches sounds a bit long .. if you are used to metric measures you'd have to check with a ruler to know what to ask for ..

..but then again people with scissors in their hands don't usually take any notice of what the customer says anyway!

ewie

English English
    :DDepends on how long Sandrick's hair was beforehand, Suzi:)
    I'd probably 'illustrate' the desired length by measuring it out in the air with thumb and forefinger, just in case the barber didn't know what inches (or centimetres, or both) looked like.

suzi br

English / England
    Other phrases to use in barbers ...

I just want it tidying up a bit, thanks.
    Can you thin the sides out a bit?
    It's got a bit heavy here (pointing to excess hair) ...
    I want it short around my ears, please.
    I want a few longer layers on the top, please.
    Don't make it too short on top, please.

Gosh -- you'll wish you never asked, and yeah, welcome on board!

suzi br

English / England
    Yeah, waving your fingers about in a "required length" kind of way MIGHT help the measurement-challenged barber ;)

ewie

English English
    :DAnd is this what you get, Rover? > SOME BLOKE
    For me a short back and sides is very short (shaved) at the back and sides.
    Sandrick, maybe you could just go in and say I'll have whatever David Beckham's got at the moment;)

suzi br

English / England
    :D
    Sandrick, we will need to see a photo of you afteryour next trip to the barber's, to judge how useful our advice has been.

< Previous | Next >