Barbershop

< Previous | Next >

danalto

Italy - Italian
We are talking about music, not hair & hairs! :D

REGINA - At least you missed the hospital party where the entertainment was Dad and his all-doctor singing group.
OLIVER - Ah, the Medtones.
REGINA - Forty minutes of barbershop and doo-wop. Trust me, “In the jungle, the mighty jungle” the lion wasn’t the only sleeping.

REGINA - Almeno ti sei risparmiato il party dell’ospedale in cui l’attrazione era papà e il suo gruppo di medici canterini.
OLIVER - Ah, i Cantamedici.
REGINA - 40 minuti di :confused: Credetemi, il leone della giungla non era l’unico a dormire, l’altra sera.

• cmc76

US
    Italy
    The term "doo wop" is typical of the the nonsense syllables often used as a chorus.
    Maybe someone else can explain to you better.

kiarap

Italian, Italy
    Barbershop: a type of singing in which four, usually male, voices in close combination perform popular romantic songs, especially from the 1920s and 1930s
    (from cambridge dictionary)

Do wop: Doo Wop is close harmony singing that comes from the heart.Unlike Barbershop Quartets, Doo-Wop was sung about the trials and tribulations of the youngsters of the late 40's through the 50's and into the 60's.

Quindi a mio parere indica il genere di musica che facevano il padre e i suoi amici canterini.

Chiara

danalto

Italy - Italian
    lsp said:
    acapella quartet of males harmonizing, usually. (Classic example)

EDIT: quote about lion refers to classic song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."
    Okay, fine.
    Sì, avevo capito il riferimento a "The Lion" ma devo trovare una soluzione per la versione italiana, e quella è la prima che mi è venuta.

Thank you both.
    Grazie anche a Chiara!

kiarap

Italian, Italy
    danalto said:
    Okay, fine.
    Sì, avevo capito il riferimento a "The Lion" ma devo trovare una soluzione per la versione italiana, e quella è la prima che mi è venuta.

Thank you both.
    Nella versione italiana se non sbaglio dice 'Il leone si è addormentato, paura più non fa...'. Niente riferimenti alla mighty jungle purtroppo, quindi secondo me la tua versione è ok.
    Chiara

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Vorrai dire MENO MALE! ;)
    Io lotto strenuamente contro la velocità con cui recitano questi attori! :(
    Mi danno pochissimo spazio per "creare"...a volte mi vengono fuori delle battute meravigliose...ma non le posso usare perché non c'è spazio!

Grazie per avermi ricordato "il leone addormentato", anche se forse è più facile come l'ho messa io...ma devo ancora provarle!

Hillbilly

danalto said:
    We are talking about music, not hair & hairs! :D

Finally I became curious and decided to read this thread. I wish that you had included the word "music" or musica" in the title.

I can't help with the translation but I do know something about the genre because I sang in barbershop choruses for ten years. Probably it would be best to use the English word rather than trying to translate it, just as Italian uses the terms "rock" and "jazz." Barbershp singing is a particularly American form of music.

Today's barbershop groups sing a variety of a cappella music. However, in the strictest sense of the term, barbershop is based on simple, sentimental songs in the style of the late 19th and early 20th century with simple chord structures and consonant chords. Most groups try to include in the repertoire a healthy portion of the older style, "strict barbershop" selections.

In 1939 O. C. Cash founded what is now called
    SPEBSQSA. (The Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, Incorporated.)

Usually barbershop singing is male only, or female only. This is because of the particular way that chords produce overtones, or "ring" in barbershop singing.
    This is difficult to explain further without using technical musical language, but barbershop singers do not have to be trained musicians.

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Hillbilly, you're absolutely right, and I changed my title. ;)
    Thank you for your explanation, now the problem is to find something Italians could understand...
    Juri, I think I will use lagne, somewhere. :)
    Thank you both!

(I'll maybe use the word coretto as this is a situation comedy...:D )

< Previous | Next >