Bare infinitive after modal verb

< Previous | Next >

s.salehi9001

persian
Hi dear friends!
Could you please help me with this:

which one is correct?

1- She can explain condition for her professor and give him her paper.
2- She can explain condition for her professor and gives him her paper.

Because we have can at the beginning of sentence all the verbs after that should be in bare infinitive form?
Thank you, in advance.

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Yes, in your sentence, the "can" governs the verb "give" too, so it cannot be "gives". I don't understand your meaning fully and suspect there is some error (including that of the article). What do you want to say? Could you please explain?

s.salehi9001

persian
    Thank you both, for your attention. Yes they are examples of my own.
    By "her condition" I mean that: (for example) She has poured soup on her paper and her paper is due today so she is in trouble (is in bad condition). The solution is that:

She can explain (her bad) condition for her professor and give him her paper.

cubaMania

We would not use "condition" in this context. We might use "problem" or "difficulty", among many possibilities.
    Although "for" is possible in some circumstances, normally we explain something "to" somebody.
    I will assume you mean to apply the modal "can" to both "explain" and "give". In that case, both "explain" and "give" must be bare infinitives.
    She can explain the problem to her professor and (she can) give him her paper.
    The words in parenthesis can be omitted.

(Regarding your post #4: I don't think her professor would accept a paper soaked in soup. If that is the problem then "...she can give him her paper tomorrow, after she has re-printed it.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >