barely make in time <as it is>

< Previous | Next >

Haan90

Korean-Korea
M: There’s a selection of best sellers in aisle five. You can pick many of them up at airport as well, but it’ll cost you.

W: I probably wouldn’t have a chance anyway. The security lines are always so long that I barely make it to my gate in time as it is. I’ll go look now. Do you have any particular recommendations?

In above conversation between a man and a woman at a book store, the woman mentions 'as it is'.

I have difficulty understanding what 'as it is' exactly means in that case.

I couldn't catch a nuance or feeling in it.

Please, help me.

for me as a non-native speaker, 'as' is rather difficult vocabulary to understand.

Last edited:
  • entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It means "as things are; the way things are; the way the situation is now". It's used because it contrasts with the situation if she took extra time to get a book: that would make things worse. Even the way things are now, it's difficult. Anything else would be more difficult.

cross-posted

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    M is suggesting W does something at the airport - something that will take several minutes.

W says that she already has barely enough time at the airport, without changing her plans to buy a book.

That is what W means by as it is in this example.

Haan90

Korean-Korea
    It means "as things are; the way things are; the way the situation is now". It's used because it contrasts with the situation if she took extra time to get a book: that would make things worse. Even the way things are now, it's difficult. Anything else would be more difficult.

cross-posted
    Oh, I really appreciate your kind answer. Your explanation is very clear. I understood it. If she make time to buy a book at the airport, she can't make it to the gate in time. "as it is" implies she has no choice but to buy a book at the bookstore given the way the situation is now.

< Previous | Next >