barmpot (BrE)

Shandol

Persian - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
1619001100985.png

The term is labelled as Northern English / slang in Collins Dictionary. Lexico is not familiar with it. Also, there is an entry in Wiktionary stating that,
This term is often used affectionately among close friends.
Inclined to know more about the term. Is this word known outside (1) North England, (2) the UK? It seems to me the Scottish variant of it is bampot. However, I'm not sure about that. Have you ever heard/seen it before? Do you agree with the above usage note made by Wiktionary?
Comments are welcome.

• Loob

English UK
    I know bampot - but then my husband was Scottish. I would recognise barmpot too, probably from TV programmes. I'm originally from south-west England, and neither is in my active vocabulary.

I'm intrigued: why are you asking, Shandol? Have you come across bampot/barmpot somewhere?

Shandol

Persian - 𐎱𐎾𐎿𐎡
    Thanks for the comments.
    Have you come across bampot/barmpot somewhere?
    Of course. Here's one,
    While other countries got debonair bampots such as Saddam Hussein, Muamarr Gaddafi and Dom Mintoff, the poor North Koreans got a wee bloke whom you imagine Chucky the demonic doll to look like if he were to adopt human form.
    Say what you will about Kim Jong-un… | Kevin McKenna
    The article was written in 2015 by Kevin McKenna;
    Kevin McKenna is a former deputy editor of the Herald and executive editor of the Daily Mail in Scotland

heypresto

English - England
    I've heard of 'barm cakes' Barm cake - Wikipedia and 'barmbrack', (but not from my part of the UK) but not a barmpot.

Barm is the foam or scum formed on the top of a fermenting liquid, such as beer, wine, or feedstock for spirits or industrial ethanol distillation. It is used to leaven bread, or set up fermentation in a new batch of liquor. ... In Ireland, barm is used in the traditional production of barmbrack, a fruited bread.

se16teddy

English - England
    Barmpot was a favourite word of my grandfather, and commonly used as a form of address to us kids if our behaviour seemed comically irrational or eccentric. He spoke the local South Yorkshire dialect with his miner colleagues but used a more standard version of English with us. My grandparents used the word barm as their normal word for yeast (close to the meaning of #5).
    In German, fermentation is a conventional symbol of unhealthy mindsets including insanity, and I suppose that this is the same idea. gären - Wörterbuch Deutsch-Englisch - WordReference.com

Last edited:

Szkot

British English
    But Lexico does list bampot. A related word is "bawbag". Very Glasgow. Not the sort of word you'd expect to come out of Edinburgh.

Bampot, or just bam, may not have 'come out of Edinburgh', but it arrived here a long time ago. The influence of Glasgow-centric media spreads such words over the whole country very quickly.

For me the Lexico definition lacks the element of craziness required for real bampottery.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    My 'very Glasgow' remark was actually aimed more at 'bawbag' than 'bampot'.
    It's amusing that 'Bawbags' is also a brand of underpants.

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    I'm also from Lancashire - home of the barm cake - and 'barmpot' is also very familiar to me. It's maybe a bit dated, though - I can't imagine a teenager on the streets of Bolton saying it nowadays.

( Did anyone else have their wretched spellcheck reject 'barm' in favour of 'barn'?)

ewie

English English
    Yeah, it may be a bit old-hat these days, Wordy ... which makes me old-hat ... heyho :cool:

(I've had spellcheck switched OFF since 2001:))