barra de uñas (herramienta)

Grey Fox

UK - English
Hi folks! Would I be correct in assuming this term is referring to what I know as a "crowbar" in English?

Interestingly, the article in Wiki (on "crowbar") in Eng has exactly what I'm thinking of, but the Spanish version has a picture of a slightly different tool, and it's called a "pie/pata de cabra"! But it clearly has the bit that serves more or less the same purpose as the claws on a claw-hammer, which I assume is what the "uñas" refers to?

• frida-nc

English USA
    I found several names for it, but could not tie them to pictures. You might look at "Crow" on this page (a good glossary of technical words) where it is palanca de pie de cabra and other names including palanca de uñas.

Good luck.

Grey Fox

UK - English
    Thanks for that link, frida-nc - what a pity that technical dictionary isn't available in reverse, Sp to Eng!

From the list given there, it would seem that in English we tend to just call it a "crowbar", although there are more specific versions, like "crooked" or "claw-footed" etc, thus accounting for the varying terms in Spanish? It would be interesting to know a native Sp-speaker's take on the matter!

< Previous | Next >