barsamente / que andes bien

faistyy

Swedish, English - Canadian, Spanish
well, someone said this to me "igual te saludo barsamente, que andes bien" to me, and my spanish is somewhat rusty, i can't find a translation for "barsamente" and "que andes bien"
so could anyone please translate it to english for me?
please & thanks.

• pozzo

inglés canadiense
    Que andes bien on its own means (I hope that) you're well or may you be well.
    Andes
    is subjunctive of andar which can sometimes be close in meaning to estar.
    As far as barsamente, I'm thinking maybe there was an error in the transcription. Where did you hear it?

faistyy

oh okay, thanks :]
    and someone left me a comment on my profile on some site saying those sentences.

pozzo

inglés canadiense
    Also I seem to be wrong.
    I googled barsamente and found it exists.
    Might be particular to Chile.

Last edited:

faistyy

yeah, i've googled it too.
    i know the word exists but i couldn't find a meaning of it :/

pozzo

inglés canadiense
    Now I see that que andes bien is separate from the barsamente part. Almost two different sentences.
    In that case, que andes bien is probably something like a way of wishing you well as you're on you're way.
    So seems it was a short conversation if they were greeting you and saying goodbye in the same breath.

Last edited:

Dlyons

English - Ireland
    Now I see that que andes bien is separate from the barsamente part. Almost two different sentences.
    In that case, que andes bien is probably something like a way of wishing you well as you're on you're way.
    So seems it was a short conversation if they were greeting you and saying goodbye in the same breath.
    That makes sense - they are saying they're being rude/brusque/rushed. It's a "hello and goodbye"

pozzo

inglés canadiense
    Okay so I've been reading around the internet.

Barsamente seems to be used a lot by young people in Chile. You see it pretty much exclusively in forums where they're using informal language. Seems to imply taking a liberty, oftentimes that could be seen as inappropriate or inconsiderate. Could also imply a lack of inhibition or the frankness that might accompany it.

So my own theory is that the person who greeted you barsamente didn't know you very well or wasn't used to hanging out in the place where they were stopping by.

There's also the verb barsear which at least a lot of the time seems to mean taking something that doesn't belong to you. I haven't checked it out enough, but in the end it probably has a more general meaning of just doing stuff barsamente.

Last edited:

pozzo

inglés canadiense
    Here's an example of it being used in a similar way.

Bueno, luego de esta entretenida introduccion, les presento en la siguiente foto, posando junto a nosotros nada menos que el mismisimo John Nash hoy en dia!! Resulta que desde hoy es mi nuevo tutor de tesis!! jajaja... noo broma, lo que pasa es que vino junto con otros proceres de la economia a mi U para hacer un taller sobre algunos temas relacionados, asi que con la Cony obviamente fuimos a su clase para conocerlo y lo vimos en accion al frente de la sala de clases exponiendo sus diapositivas sobre competencia cooperativa, y al final barsamente nos acercamos para pedirle una foto.
    http://los-cosos.blogspot.com/2007/12/una-mente-brillante-nash.html

m_m_s

Spanish - Chile
    Chilean slang. It means 'to take a liberty' (i.e. barsamente te incluyo - I take the liberty of including you)

< Previous | Next >