base camp

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

According to Cambridge dictionary , base camp means :

base camp Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

a place where food and general supplies are kept, especially for people climbing a mountain.

Now my question is:
What is the name of the place where soccer players rest and train ?

According to this site:
2018 FIFA World Cup™ Team Base Camps confirmed

FIFA has confirmed the list of Team Base Camps (TBCs) of the 32 teams that will participate in the 2018 FIFA World Cup™.

Since the above site is Russian and I haven't seen this phrase on British or American websites, I would like to know your opinion.

Please tell me your opinion.

• Barque

Tamil
    I've seen the phrase before in the same context, that of team sport tournaments like the World Cup.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I think Cambridge is being very narrow in its definition. A base camp is a camp where you are based, and for a soccer team which is located temporarily abroad and then travelling to matches in various towns it seems quite appropriate.

sdgraham

USA English
    I think Cambridge is being very narrow in its definition. A base camp is a camp where you are based, and for a soccer team which is located temporarily abroad and then travelling to matches in various towns it seems quite appropriate.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Garmin (the GPS folks) even has a piece of software called Base Camp, which organizes waypoints.

< Previous | Next >