base of the bridge (musical terms)

< Previous | Next >

Resurgam

Armenian-Russian
Hi!

Would someone be so kind as to help with the following phrase? "This is a type of a sarangi, comprised of 6 or 7 playing strings, 11 to 13 sympathetic strings and a skin head stretched at the base of the bridge". The instrument looks like this:

I have no notion of musical instruments' terms but after searching I have found out that the skin head is that dirty-white area, the bridge is that white upright thing. And this pic shows where the base of the bridge is

So basically my question is: does the last part of the sentence make sense to you, native speakers? I'm confused, the skin head is stretched over the top of the instrument's body. Or is there a misprinted: they wanted to say it's streched under the base of the bridge? I also thought that they might have meant the leather band under the bridge but it's called "belt" and may be it isn't that important detail to be meantioned in a short description of the instrument.

I would be very grateful to anyone for help!
Thanx in advance!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I agree with you, that the description reverses the order that we might expect; but perhaps the author was describing things in chronological order - the fingers pluck the strings, the strings vibrate the bridge, and finally the sound is amplified through the skin.

However, it's perfectly grammatical to use at or under (or indeed beneath).

Resurgam

Armenian-Russian
    cado, thank you! I see. So taking into consederation the context while translating I can use "under\beneath" instead of "at", can't I?

< Previous | Next >