Based on; Loosely based on; Inspired by / from"

XtremeMan360

Arabic
I have a question regarding these sentences:

- "Based on"

- "Loosely based on"

- "Inspired by"

- "Inspired from"

Do these sentences mean that they look exactly like the thing or person or people

that they were taken from ?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Xtrememan360.

Do these sentences mean that they look exactly like the thing or person or people

that they were taken from ?
    No. Those phrases mean that the creator of one thing was inspired or guided by something else: My story was inspired by "The Tell-tale Heart" = I read "The Tell-tale Heart". It inspired me to write a different story. My story may be similar to "The Tell-tale Heart".

My story is based on "The Tell-tale Heart" = I used some of the characters or the plot of "The Tell-tale Heart" in my own story.

JamesM

Also, it might be worth knowing that these phrases have different compensations attached to them for Hollywood productions. Also, I believe "based on" requires the author's permission for movie endorsements.

You might find this link interesting:

Legal Ease: What's the Difference Between "Based On" vs. "Inspired By"?

This might also be interesting -- an article about a woman suing Warner Bros. for not putting "based on" as a credit on the film "Gravity":

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/b...ravity-sues-warner-bros-over-credit.html?_r=0

Owlman5's answer is better for the common definition of the terms. I'm only adding this in case you are asking in relation to an artistic work.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >