Basics of Your Faith

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sara Lee, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Sara Lee

Sara Lee Senior Member

Chinese
    I'm really not good at using short expressions or shorten long sentences.

If I want to say:
    Here are things those believers in God must know or things those believers should/must know about faith in God

What good and short words should I use when I give a short title for some articles

1. Basics for Believers in God

2. Basics of Your Faith

<...>
    3. Basics for Your Faith

Which one do you think is okay or natural?

<-----Additional sentences and questions removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I do not know this for sure, but I suspect that your article is about one specific faith - not belief in God in general. It is hard for me to imagine one set of basics that would work for Sunni Islam, Hassidic Judaism and evangelical Protestant Christianity - yet members of all those faiths believe in God. In that case, #1 and #4 have the wrong meaning.

Between #2 and #5, I prefer #2; I don't think "for" works well here since "your faith" is not an activity.

Between the remaining two, #2 and #3, it is (to me) a personal choice. I prefer the style of $3, but #2 would be correct also if all those who read this article believe in whatever faith this is about. If that's not the case, "your" is inappropriate, and I'd choose #3.

3. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    Which do you think is/are correct, Sara Lee? We can help you better if we understand your thinking.

[Cross-posted]

4. Sara Lee

Sara Lee Senior Member

Chinese

Thank you so much~~ Egmont,

let me think how I should express, I will try my best to make me clear to you~~

5. Sara Lee

Sara Lee Senior Member

Chinese

I inteneded to refer to Christians~~

Then what about Essentials of Your Faith or Must-know for Believers?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018