basketball nut & flipping three pennies off their hands

farima_mt

persian
Hi there,
Well, I've checked this (basketball nut) in the internet and I don't think that what I've found is really what means here so I need your help to understand its meaning.

( They all enjoyed the clown in Gould, who was once a song-and-dance man. Had had them all flipping three pennies off their hands and trying to catch them one at time. A basketball nut, he and the crew and Max von Sydow played half-court games.)
From Ingmar Bergman Interviews by Raphael Shargel/ page 107

Thanks in advance.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    If you look up nut in WR dictionary, meaning 4 is "an eccentric person".
    The meaning here is that he was obsessed with basketball.
    Another way of saying this would be that he was "a basketball freak".

farima_mt

persian
    Something else came to my mind, did I understand it correctly that they played with pennies a game like basketball?

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I don't think that the game with pennies is connected to the basketball.
    1) Gould had them playing a game with pennies.
    2) Gould was a basketball fanatic.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The game with pennies involves throwing them into the air and then catching them. It is not even remotely like basketball.

Grefsen

English - United States
    I agree with Edinburgher that the meaning of "basketball nut" used in this example is someone who is "obsessed with basketball."
    If you look up nut in WR dictionary, meaning 4 is "an eccentric person".
    The meaning here is that he was obsessed with basketball.
    There is also the quote "he and the crew and Max von Sydow played half-court games" which would apply to basketball, but not at all to the game with pennies.
    Something else came to my mind, did I understand it correctly that they played with pennies a game like basketball?
    The game with pennies involves throwing them into the air and then catching them. It is not even remotely like basketball.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >