Basque: nor-nork/nor-nori/nor-nori nork with other verbs

< Previous | Next >

marchinoberta

Italian
Hi! :)

I would like to know if the nori-nork forms (I mean prefixes/suffixes and so on) could be used or actually are used also with verbs different from the auxiliary izan/ukan.
As far as I know, there are other verbs that use some features of nori-nork construction, but could you give me a detailed example (or even more, if you want!)?

Thanks! ;)

• jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    If you told us exactly what you need, I might be able to help you.

marchinoberta

Italian
    Ok, I'll try to explain what I'm trying to say.
    I'm a very beginner of basque but I read that if I want to say "you give me s.th." I have to use ematen + didazu, ie ematen + the auxiliary ukan to which are suffixed -da- (to me) and -zu(you). Tell me if I'm wrong.

It's possible to do something similar with one of the few verbs that have a synthetic coniugation?
    For instance, using ekarri:
    You bring me(acc.) -> naukarzu

where nau- is nor, -zu nork and kar the verb root. I know that it's wrong, but it's just to give you an idea of what I mean.

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    You give me (dat) it (acc.) = ematen didaizu
    You bring me (acc) = ekartzen nauzu

I would say that the last part of the auxilary (zu) tells you who the subject is. Nau refers to the first person accusative. In didaizu, di means that the direct object is singular and dai must be a metamorphosis (if you know what I mean) of nai (nai, dai, all related to ni - I) referring to the first person as the indirect object.

marchinoberta

Italian
    I know that -da (not dai) stands for "to me" and -zu indicates the subject, and the nor/nork construction nauzu could be split in nau- (me acc.) and -zu (subject).
    I'm curious to know if it's possible to use these suffixes and prefixes also with verbal roots, that is to say, attached to verbal roots.

If you go here, for instance, and look at the third table, you find that a verb like "etorri" can have dative suffixes (-t to me, -o to him, -gu to us). They could be used also with other verbs?

marchinoberta

Italian
    I think that you probably didn't understand me.
    I'll give you another example:

if I want to say "I come" I'll say "nator" (<etorri).
    But
    if I want to say "I come to them" I'll say "natorkie" (see the table I told you about in my last post)

So my question is: can I do the same thing also with other verbs, that is to say, can I say for instance noakie (<joan, 1 p.s. present "noa") to say "I go to them"?

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    Yes, noakie is correct. Now, I doubt if you can do that with all verbs. Human languages are not that regular and predictable.

monkeywrench

fr-fr,eu-la
    if you say natorkie to me, I won't understand, I'm not sure in other regions ( honestly I can't even tell if it's correct or not )

in spoken Basque you should use
    aiengana nator
    aiengana etortzen naiz
    aiengana heldu naiz (lapurdi)

Last edited:

xruiz18

Basque Country (Spain), basque and spanish
    There are only a few verbs where synthetic form may be used: egon 'stay', ibili 'walk', joan 'go', etorri 'come', izan 'to be', jakin 'know', euki 'have', ekarri 'bring', eraman 'take'... for example.
    "You bring me" would be "nakarzu"
    "You bring me something" = "dakarkidazu"
    "natorkie" and "noakie" are also correct in standard basque, but some forms are used only in literary language.

marchinoberta

Italian
    Thank you xruiz18, you got the point I was looking for!

I think the verbal construction - like "nakarzu" - is one of the more intriguing (and challenging, of course) aspects of Basque grammar, that's why I'm curious about it.

May be do you know a good grammar in which this very interesting verbal subject is well treated? You can contact me via Private Message, if you want.

< Previous | Next >