Bastarda malparida

emylyo

España, español y gallego
How would you translate this insult taking into account that it's being said in a very old context (years B.C.)?
Would ''fucking bitch'' be appropiate?
I don't mean to offend anyone.

Thank you very much in advance.

• aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    "Bastardo" might mean "illegitimate", "born out of wedlock". It could also be a snake or a sail.
    Please give the context, as always. It's required by the forum rules.

emylyo

Okay, here's the whole sentece: "Bastarda malparida... Sabía que no podíamos fiarnos de esa romana."

Miguel Antonio

Galego (Rías Baixas)
    You could go for 'bastard bitch', as this would leave no doubt as to the person's gender, and keep the 'out-of-wedlock' insult intended. Just a suggestion, though. I personally feel that f***ing is not quite the right word here...

Oops! I've just seen Aztlan's post, it sounds like German :D

emylyo

Thank you very much for your quick answers. I knew f**ing was not very appropiate, but it was the first thing that came into my mind. Nonetheless, I think I prefer Miguel Antonio's option, as Aztlan's seems very hard to understand for an ordinary audience (The quote was taken from a soap opera's dialogue).

SydLexia

UK English
    The quote was taken from a soap opera's dialogue
    This is an important part of the context.

I thought aztlan's suggestion was brilliant. How is the dialogue supposed to sound? Are you going for ancient, modern, or hip-hop?

Have you any examples of other insults and imprecations that you have translated? With what are you trying to be consistent?

syd

Aztlan's suggestion is perfect, but SydLexia is right: it depends on whether the rest of the dialogue sounds ancient or modern.

It irritates me enormously to read a novel or watch a movie situated in ancient times but with a dialogue that sounds as if it came off the streets in 2012; however, if that is the way it is written, you'll have to follow through and translate it the same way.

emylyo

The soap opera is about the Roman Empire and it takes place during the 2nd century BC. The dialogue is supposed to sound formal, so I am going for ancient. However, it shouldn't be extremely formal, nor extremely ancient as it is not a book, it is a show for an ordinary audience, as I have already said.

Here's an example of how I translated other insults:

¡Cerdo!¡Te arrancaré las tripas! ¡Te mataré! = You bastard!/You swine! I’ll pull your guts out! I will kill you!

Thanks

rosario001

Spanish, from Uruguay
    I'd be reluctant to use the word bastard in this case. You don't tend to see it used as an epithet for a female (I mean, it would be perfectly correct to describe her as a bastard, but you wouldn't call her that as an insult). I'm not 100% convinced by "f**ing bitch", but I think it at least sounds more natural than "bastard bitch".

mijoch

Banned
    British English
    Seeing as like it's old.

"ill born bitch"------- thing spat on a rock and hatched in the sun--------how much more unpleasant can one be?

M.

< Previous | Next >